Rain in Adirondacks yesterday

Another temperature inversion and rain ...lots of rain... here in the Adirondacks. Lake Placid was 50 degrees while Keene Valley was mid 40's. Thicker stuff may still be all right soon, but all the cool thin stuff that was around is gone…at least until it gets cold again in a few days.

I posted a photo of Underwood Canyon. You'd need a canoe to access the White Fang. Most routes there took a real hit, with tops shrunken a bodylength or so, and massive tunneling of water through/behind the formations. But things are still standing so they will strengthen and rebuild as soon as we get cold again.

That was you in there yesterday? I saw a car parked and couldn't believe anybody would make the trek with the weather we had. You, sir, are a true adventurer.

Anyone got some info on conditions right now and/or some predictions given the forecast for this week? Also: does anyone know which areas are going to be MOST crowded during Mtn. Fest? I'm assuming CP canyon and NFOP, but any other areas that people are known to gang-top-rope during the event?

I'm predicting things will recover pretty well by the weekend. We've had temps below freezing every night and there's going to be a cool-off all week. You're right about CP, NFOP and Cascade Pass being full. Last year, I was surprised to see big crowds at Loch Ness, but it turns out people were steered there by the guides who were running clinics in the Canyon and Pass. My recommendation for getting away from the crowds is to pick something that takes more than twenty minutes to approach and/or needs a bit of a drive (Poko or Hoffman).

Get out there and get after it. Just make sure to make it back for the slideshows. They're going to be great this year.

Quote Originally Posted by spydermonkey View Post
    Anyone got some info on conditions right now and/or some predictions given the forecast for this week? Also: does anyone know which areas are going to be MOST crowded during Mtn. Fest? I'm assuming CP canyon and NFOP, but any other areas that people are known to gang-top-rope during the event?
    Well, there are tracks to follow into Underwood Canyon. You can PM me if you want more details on what we climbed back there, or just go in and have a good time.

Definitely come up during mountain fest - there is still ice in the usual places. But lots of stuff is "funny" - be careful! 41 and raining at my house in Keene at 1800' right now. It is forecast to get below freezing each night, but no deep freeze - more like 15-20 at night, 35 in the daytime.