This forum is Closed

Thread: golfer's elbow

golfer's elbow

Hello there,

I've been having problems with golfer's elbow.
    I went to a doctor, had some PT done and it's little better but still hurts.
    I was curious if any of you had also experience with elbow pains and how did you deal with it.
    I also heard about ARP therapy.
    Anybody has done it?

Thanks

Several years ago I had golfer's elbow, due to constant stress from work, climbing and XC ski racing. I got a cortisone shot from my doc and it immediately went away. I think that the shot wore off after more than six months, when there was a very slight amount of additional discomfort, then it went away, but to this day, I still have times when I feel a bit of stress in the elbow.

I developed tendonitis in 1 elbow after a week of climbing every day at Ouray a few years back. 3 exercises will build your forearm strength and take the stress off the tendon. First are classic "rollies" you can use a weight tied to a broomstick on a rope, but I use a 20# bar held downward and not away from my body. The second is a reverse wrist curl - you grip a dumbbell with your palm facing down and you forearm resting on flat surface with your wrist dangling over the edge and curl your wrist upward. The third is a "standing row" where you hold a weighted bar in a standing position and pull the weight upward from your waist to your chest by bending your elbows. I do these twice a week and have never had a problem again no matter how many days in a row I climb.

Thanks.

KZ, did you start doing these exercises still with the pain or you waited for the pain to recede?

Heal first!!!! The swelling in the tendon needs to go down otherwise you will just reinjure it. Ice it to hasten the healing process.

checkout this article on "dodgy elbows". I've been plagued by climbers elbow due to excessive masturbation since I was a teenager and this program does the trick for me.

http://www.drjuliansaunders.com/reso.../dodgy_elbows/

Also this months rock and ice has a gear spotlight about this Armaid thing, http://armaid.com/page/857-844/rock-climbers. Don't have any experience with them but it might be useful.

That was the best article on this topic I've seen!

Make sure to address the cause. Golf? Bad ergonomics at the PC? Overuse of some kind (splitting wood, digging ditches, etc.)? Must fix the ergonomics of the cause, or the problem will return despite therapy and training.