This forum is Closed

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Trap Dike conditions?

Going to be out climbing this tomorrow. Looking for info on current conditions.

Still doable?

Hi!
    How was it? Could it still be done this week_end?

Thanks

Did it yesterday put in a boot pack conditions were great even tho the snow was pretty deep in places. Skiied down 1990 slide which is also in great nick if starting to have rocks showing through quite a bit

That is the sweetest trip in the ADKs; done it several times. Nice!

any picture for a better idea and can we place any protection?

Samuel, the previous posts are from last spring. If there is any ice at this time it probably won't really take anything more than stubies...if that. But i'm not local so i can't confirm. Surely nothing skiable in any way. If you are looking for beta for this route in winter i'm sure you'll find plenty of pics and descriptions/opinions about the route on summipost or moutainproject. I've done it in late winter and it was a blast.

Went up and climbed the trap dike yesterday. Its amazing how little snow there is everywhere up in the high peaks. The climb was in but thin. There was a bit of water running but much less than I expected. Compared to later in the season, when it is mainly snow, the dike is mostly all ice. The upper slabs were very thin and basically snow free. As for protection, there's not much yet. If you wanted pro, I'd say bring some rock gear.

Anyone been up the Dike since Thanksgiving with any notes on conditions? Lake safe to walk on yet?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesB View Post
    Lake safe to walk on yet?
    According to the Jackrabbit Ski Trail website, Avalanche Lake is safe to cross.

http://www.jackrabbittrail.org/conditions.html

As of today Cascade Lakes and Chapel Pond were open water.