AK Climbing... On A Budget - A Slideshow

This Saturday, Feb. 23rd at 7PM, at IME in North Conway, I will be presenting my slideshow and talk "Alaskan Climbing, On A Budget." The last three seasons in the Alaska Range, and other road trips West before that, have taught me a lot about how to climb big objectives without a big bankroll!

More recently, guiding Denali expeditions has given me great insight into how some people manage to spend a LOT of money to go climbing, and further highlighted how creative thinking can save a ton of cash. We will touch on topics like transportation, gear (and gear repurposing), choosing an objective, tactics for high altitude peaks, and how to have a hell of a fun time in the big hills.

So please drop by, enjoy some killer shots of the Alaska Range, bring an open mind, and maybe you'll learn something!

-Nick

Details:
    Saturday, Feb 23rd, 2013, 7:00PM
    International Mountain Equipment - North Conway, NH
    $8 at the door, BYOB
    A portion of all proceeds goes to the Mountain Rescue Service

Name:  AK Climbing.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  89.5 KB

The picture on the flyer is looking at 747 Pass on the Ruth Glacier, Central Alaska Range, April 2011.

Love the topic!

Cool

Dito, as I just got my tickets for my May trip last night.

So cheap right now eh? $420 Boston to Anchorage. It's getting to the glacier that kills you.

You could always hike in from Talkeetna like Fred Beckey!

Amazing that the 20+ hr travel cost is cheaper than the 35 minute flight, but still cheaper than the bar tab at the fairview.

You could always get some snowgoes to the base of porcupine butte (or much further), ski the whales tail to backside, and drop in on 747 pass or continue to pease pass and the mtn house. Pretty sure you could scrounge enough food to live off from the mtn house guests. Beer wise just stand naked on the runway telling your story to the tourists and sooner or later a pilot will drop you a rack of pbers.

Ha that's quite a fairview tab at what, like $1.50 a PBR, $2.50 for Alaskan Brewing?

At 9% you can drink half as many Ice Axe Ales.