Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Varmints at Standard Route, Frankenstein

Beware. There is a red squirrel living at the base of Standard Route at Frankenstein in Crawford Notch NH. The little bastard is chewing through pack lids looking for goodies. He has done it down at the RR tracks also. So far he has avoided attempts to dispatch him with ice axes. If you leave your pack anywhere there, I would leave the lid unzipped. I may bring a trap and some peanut butter next time I am there...

Where there is one there are thousands. Two years ago I caught 35 in two months at my bird feeder. The Pug and I delivered every one to a neighbors a mile away. Every time I drive by there and see one of them little red devils I almost crash laughing. Beware White Mtn rattlers are crafty and evil.

Quote Originally Posted by rpdoucette View Post
    Beware. There is a red squirrel living at the base of Standard Route at Frankenstein in Crawford Notch NH. The little bastard is chewing through pack lids looking for goodies. He has done it down at the RR tracks also. So far he has avoided attempts to dispatch him with ice axes. If you leave your pack anywhere there, I would leave the lid unzipped. I may bring a trap and some peanut butter next time I am there...
    Why not just climb with your pack instead of leaving it for Rocky to molest?

Here are a couple entertaining links.

A whole site devoted to squirrel hate:

http://www.removesquirrels.com/

A squirrel discussion that brings out strong anti-squirrel passion:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthrea...-red-squirrels

Enjoy especially post #10 and subsequent posts by the same contributor...

mike,

Are you sure you didn't catch the same squirrel 35 times?

We had the same thing happen at the Beer Walls in August!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Lake George 2012 125.jpg  

My solution was to hang the bags about 10' up from a screw. I sincerely doubt the little buggers can claw their way up ice.

http://neice.com/2013/01/frankensteins-monster/
    Read this article that Patrick Cooke wrote it is awsome.Thanks Pat for a great article.

There's a rumor that the monster is waiting in ambush outside of Al Hospers' place in N. Conway, pissed off that he's dissuading gumby pilgrims from coming to his holy shrine and leaving offerings:

"Standard Left is OUT at this time. Standard still has some good places, but the climbing above the cave is problematic, with large holes and lots of grooves from the water that poured off the past few days. The upper curtains are mostly gone and if you go to the top you're going to have to go way left into the trees. Dracula right left was pouring water on Wednesday but right is still ok, tho the top-out is somewhat sketchy."

Go get on Standard and Dracula while it's safe... Al, RUN!

Careful, you wouldn't like him when he's angry....