Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Exclamation Cassin X-all mountain heads up!!

I went through a second set of the X-Dry handles this Friday guiding on Standard route. Both grips broke at exactly the same spot...pinky rest dead center. It seems they cannot take the abuse of caning (if you can call it that). Fortunately I have another set...last one. I have notified the powers to be. Not trying to slander the tools or the company as I love them both and have nothing but great things to say about the quality, customer service and performance!

Just thought those of you out there using these tools with the x-dry grips (grey and black); inspect them daily for any weaknesses or cracking. Once the snow/ice fills up the gap that is created by the crack, the pinky rest is pushed toward the handle and you can no longer rest your pinky or hand on the bottom of the tool.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF2385.jpg  

I've broken two of the handles this season in exactly the same spot. In my case, though, I think it was user error. I was using umbilicals with Metolius Mini FS biners and I think they were occasionally getting in the way of the handle. This was leading to a direct shot when the biner would get slammed by the ice and straight into the handle. I stopped using the umbilicals and haven't had a problem since. If I need to use them again, I'll just throw one loop of cord to isolate the biner from the handle.

Camp and the Mountaineer were super cool about replacing the handles and I'm hoping now I've figured out what I was doing wrong. I love the tools and definitely will keep using them.

Yah, I haven't used umbilicals at all. The damage seen here was from simple caning on approaches. This is a serious design flaw and I think needs to be addressed. I hope that R&D get wind of this and hopefully it is being corrected as we speak. I have had nothing but good luck with CAMP and Cassin so I am sure that we will see a better system next go. That being said, it has no implications on the shaft of the tool or anything like that, so that is good news. Simply take the old grip off and on with the new....1 minute and it is good! I just don't like the idea of disposable grips. ;P

Sorry to hear you're having troubles with the grips, grammy. I've been using my all-mountains hard for a couple seasons now without any troubles, but I don't plunge them in the snow much or "caning" where more than the point goes in.

Quote Originally Posted by rockytop View Post
    Sorry to hear you're having troubles with the grips, grammy. I've been using my all-mountains hard for a couple seasons now without any troubles, but I don't plunge them in the snow much or "caning" where more than the point goes in.
    Thanks man! Still love the tools. I have several sets of grips, but they should design them with a hard plastic to avoid this problem. Great tools though...aren't they?

Don't think you were doing anything wrong. An Ice tool should be bombproof. Its whole purpose in life is to take a beating in mortal combat and keep you alive in the process....

Hi Grammy,
    Sorry you've had an issue with the All Mountain tool. This is the first I've heard of, or seen this problem. I've had those tools since they're prototype phase and never had any problems even with some pretty hard miles. You must do a lot of "caning" as I've done a bit of that with them here in the Adirondack's, and around the world and didn't have a problem. I'll push the development guys to investigate making a dry tooling handle that's more up to mountaineering. In the mean time have you seen the handle for the X-Alp? It slips right on the All Mountain shaft and is purpose built for plunging into snow. Take a look at them online, if your interested, P.M. and call me, and I'll see if we can't set you up with a set. Ian 518-576-9556
    AMG-Web-Logo2

Grammy, which way is the pick facing when you cane? Do you think it would make a difference?
    Reggie

Hi Ian,

I have all three handles. The caning that I do is just from the railroad tracks to Standard or dracula...not miles and miles of snow. I have had not issues with the All Mountain grip at all. I have cained with BD Tools...Quarks,,etc.. and never had an issue. I sent Glen some pics and the write up to see if this has been an issue with this particular grip. The more i dig, the more I am hearing and seeing the same issue. AS I said, I love the tools..but wish that the pinky rest was a bit more burly. ~grammy

Should not have to worry about which way it is faceing. that thing should be bombproof. I still want a set of these but will wait a year or so to let them iron out the bugs.