Advertisement

Thread: Green Woolies

Cool Green Woolies

About six years ago I sprung for the fancy Sholer EMS pants for about $180 on sale. They turned into a sponge half way through the season. The last 4 years I have been useing the good ol fassioned wool hunting pants I get @ the local gun store. Can't afford the yuppie Johnson Woolen Mill variaty but I got a par of Big Bills for $55.00 made in Canada that work just fine. cargo pockets on the legs for extra gloves and your hat when you overheat. The knees and inner thighs are sticky enough to help you grip those free hangers when you are desperatly flailing. They also work good in chimnys... I do turn into a giat snowball on approaches but that helps keep the wind out

You should go for the knickers and high wool knee socks! I had a pair wayyyy back in the day.

I think we need a photo of your free-hanger technique Trad!

It's not pretty, quite desperate actually!

the woolies are good if you are a fast team or soloing. they are not as windproof as some of the modern stuff so not so good for long windy belay sessions. I may be guideing tomorrow and will wear fleece pants under a wind shell but most of my climbing has been with the woolies the last few years... and yes the woolen knees do have a wee bit more traction in a pinch than sholer or gortex