Advertisement
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Poser

Glasses for Climbing; Julbo's

I feel it is time to breath life back into a small but very important piece of gear, eye protection. Sunglasses, shades, whatever the wording may be, the control of optics are now better than ever.

Over the years I've used many brands. Vuarnet, Ray Ban, Oakley, Native and Smith. Though all of these brands are better than just good, the best by far for me has been Julbo.
    I've used a few types over the last eight years, but it is of two types I'm going to write of, for these have stood out, the Contest & the Dust.

Contest;

Equipped with the light-sensitive Zebra photochromatic lenses, which in an unnoticed subtleness, become lighter as the brightness of day wains. The yellow/brown tint to the lens give wonderful vision no matter time of day. Another surprising feature, (that works) is the anti-fog treatment, this was simply amazing. I've tried to fog the Contest time after time to little avail. And I've humped up many steep wooded slopes and long routes.

Name:  contest.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  26.4 KB

Dust
    ;

The light weight Dust are so comfortable I totally forgot I had them on. During many a bushwhack my eyes were not only were protected from the hundreds of face slaps, the Dust just refused to get knocked off my face.
    They also have the sweet Zebra lens, are anti-fog treated and both glasses have the suspended lenses providing wide range, uninhibited vision.

Name:  dust.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  52.7 KB

I do have one, and only one complaint. I'm not a huge fan of the carrying cases. They are too big and more like small boxes. This is no big deal as my glasses are always on my face.
    However they are very useful to contain certain items. And easily double as a small tool box or first aid kit.

I live in my Julbo glasses, from dawn to dusk. If you need sunglasses, do yourself a favor. Feed your head and enter the Julbo World.

Peace
    ~ac
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Alfonzo; 01-10-2012 at 05:53 AM.
    I'm on the lamb, but I ain't no sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonzo View Post
    I feel it is time to breath life back into a small but very important piece of gear, eye protection. Sunglasses, shades, whatever the wording may be, the control of optics are now better than ever.

Over the years I've used many brands. Vuarnet, Ray Ban, Oakley, Native and Smith. Though all of these brands are better than just good, the best by far for me has been Julbo.
    I've used a few types over the last eight years, but it is of two types I'm going to write of, for these have stood out, the Contest & the Dust.

Contest;

Equipped with the light-sensitive Zebra photochromatic lenses, which in an unnoticed subtleness, become lighter as the brightness of day wains. The yellow/brown tint to the lens give wonderful vision no matter time of day. Another surprising feature, (that works) is the anti-fog treatment, this was simply amazing. I've tried to fog the Contest time after time to little avail. And I've humped up many steep wooded slopes and long routes.

Name:  contest.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  26.4 KB

Dust
    ;

The light weight Dust are so comfortable I totally forgot I had them on. During many a bushwhack my eyes were not only were protected from the hundreds of face slaps, the Dust just refused to get knocked off my face.
    They also have the sweet Zebra lens, are anti-fog treated and both glasses have the suspended lenses providing wide range, uninhibited vision.

Name:  dust.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  52.7 KB

I do have one, and only one complaint. I'm not a huge fan of the carrying cases. They are too big and more like small boxes. This is no big deal as my glasses are always on my face.
    However they are very useful to contain certain items. And easily double as a small tool box or first aid kit.

I live in my Julbo glasses, from dawn to dusk. If you need sunglasses, do yourself a favor. Feed your head and enter the Julbo World.

Peace
    ~ac
    + 1 for Julbo's

Got a stick in the eye the other day walking off Webster and it really stung like sob. Well made and don't cost an arm and a leg like many higher end optics... Not cheap but fair... I am a fan!

Julbo makes great products... the Dirt are by far my favorite for the ice, though. Same lenses as the Contest (which work phenomenally, but still fog up on occasion) and have killer styling. I also use the Explorers with the Chameleon lens from time to time.

+1 on the Contests Alfonso.
    This is my second season with the contests and I absolutely love them. Zebra lenses kick ass and they refuse to fog up like all my other glasses thus far. A solid product that delivers. Hard to find things like that today!

I have a wide face and to date the Smith Projekt are my favorite frames. Any of you guys using the Julbos find they fit a big dome decently?

Quote Originally Posted by mainefinn View Post
    I have a wide face and to date the Smith Projekt are my favorite frames. Any of you guys using the Julbos find they fit a big dome decently?
    I just got a pair of bivouak's with zebra lenses the frame is a little big on my face but not to bad I think they would fit a big dome well. If you choose the explorers I always hear that they run small and people wanting the xl's with a bigger head. Now back to the lenses I just got these sunglasses a couple days ago and have had them on in sunny and cloudy conditons I am a little bummed on the zebra lense. They say they go from cat2 to cat4 and thats why I bought them but when the sun is out strong im squinting constantly. I called julbo to ask them about them maybe they weren't changing over or something so they said to wash them under warm water to help activate the photochrmoic properties,so I did I dont think it helped at all. I agree with Alfonzo about them changing over and youre eyes not noticing because they do they go from light goldish to a darker gold brown color on the outer lense. So I called them back to ask some more questions about the lenses they told me that basicly it was my fault and my eyes are more sensitive to light then others and that I needed to go to a camel lense. They said its a over all darker lense going form cat 3 to cat4 not down to cat2 like the zebra but thats why I bought them is I figure it was better to have a larger spec of change. So maybe it is buyer error on my part but I dont understand how buying a lense that goes from cat2-cat4 isnt enough and one that goes from 3to4 only is going to be better in mine is supose to xfer all the way to cat4 unless cat has nothing to do with lense darkness but yet the spectron cat 4 lense says its super dark and dont drive with them, my sunglasses and lenses are in the same catigory as the other glacier glasses so there is my rant over all I really like the frames just are confused about lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by hmk207 View Post
    ... Now back to the lenses I just got these sunglasses a couple days ago and have had them on in sunny and cloudy conditons I am a little bummed on the zebra lense. They say they go from cat2 to cat4 and thats why I bought them but when the sun is out strong im squinting constantly...
    I had the same exact experience with the zebra lenses. I bought a pair of Dirt with the zebra lens. I took them out on a day that wasn't even that bright and found them practically useless. I might as well not been wearing any sunglasses for as much as I was squinting. I didn't think my eyes were that sensitive to light...

Quote Originally Posted by slevasse View Post
    I had the same exact experience with the zebra lenses. I bought a pair of Dirt with the zebra lens. I took them out on a day that wasn't even that bright and found them practically useless. I might as well not been wearing any sunglasses for as much as I was squinting. I didn't think my eyes were that sensitive to light...
    Did you end up getting a different lens?

Quote Originally Posted by hmk207 View Post
    Did you end up getting a different lens?
    No I just ended up returning them. I had bought them online from EMS and they have a kind of crappy selection of them. When I get a chance to hit a store with a better selection, I'll see what they have.

Good info on your lens experience. I live in sunglasses but can't climb in my Smith's because they fog. However the amber polarized Smith lens is my favorite all time. I find them awesome from cloud cover driving to on the ocean or up in Hunts on a blue bird day. I have been wondering about these transitioning lenses and now I seem to have my answer unless someone else can provide a direct comparison between the Smith amber polarized and these new Julbo Zebras