Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Standard/Franks/Shoestring/Crawford Conditions & Photos 01-08-12

Climbed at Franks on Saturday. Standard was in but damp (see photo of guy trying to remove gushing ice/water screw!). Dracula was getting climbed, as were a few Ampitheater routes. Waterfall, House of Blue, and the other woods-sheltered routes looked pretty good.
    Sunday headed up to Shoestring. No snow, but that means lots of ice revealed--all-in-all great climbing. As previous reports mentioned, the descent is icy. Willeys still looked good, if thin and it seemed as though Cinema survived Saturday and was touching down (but can't say surely). Climbed Elephants Head which was in good shape.
    Summary: Things seemed to have survived Saturday pretty well--now we just need more snow to feed the ice beast!

Check out photos of some of the routes listed above at:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Advent...8172890&type=3

Adding to Crawford Notch:

Gully #1 is good (see photopost), Right hand Variation looks better than last week

Gully #2 is good but tricky (see photopost)

Great Madness looks good

Cinema looks good, but no one got on it yesterday (or at least we didn't see any tracks going up there)

Snot Rocket looks climbable but be delicate!

Quote Originally Posted by Adventure Spirit View Post
    Climbed at Franks on Saturday. Standard was in but damp (see photo of guy trying to remove gushing ice/water screw!). Dracula was getting climbed, as were a few Ampitheater routes. Waterfall, House of Blue, and the other woods-sheltered routes looked pretty good.
    Sunday headed up to Shoestring. No snow, but that means lots of ice revealed--all-in-all great climbing. As previous reports mentioned, the descent is icy. Willeys still looked good, if thin and it seemed as though Cinema survived Saturday and was touching down (but can't say surely). Climbed Elephants Head which was in good shape.
    Summary: Things seemed to have survived Saturday pretty well--now we just need more snow to feed the ice beast!

Check out photos of some of the routes listed above at:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Advent...8172890&type=3
    I tried contacting you Via Private message. Not sure if it went through or how that all works.

I lost a Neon Blue Mammut Hat on Shoestring late in the day on Saturday. Pretty sure i was the last one up for the day. It's a long shot but it sounds like you guys climbed Shoestring on Sunday. You did not happen to find this sweet hat did you?

If so a sweet finders fee is in it for you if you did!!

Cheers!

Willy's was good on Sun. A bit baked on the top, but took 16s the whole way. Microspikes are needed unless you enjoy sliding on your ass on the way down.

Since when is it called "Frank's"?

Quote Originally Posted by gunkiemike View Post
    Since when is it called "Frank's"?
    This seems to be an alarming trend in the last few years: "Franks", "Willo", etc.

I'm a perpetrator as well, sometimes referring to Smuggler's Notch as "Smuggs", though in my defense, it's ocassionally been referred to as "Smuggs" for decades, and simply "The Notch" for longer still. "Franks" on the other hand, seems to be new this season. "Willo" seems to have emerged in the last few.

I recently heard Burlington, VT referred to as "Burly" as well. Is this all some sordid plot? Perhaps.

I pledge to do my part to stop the madness from here on out. Who will join me? STOP THE MADNESS.

Now if we could only stamp out the term "trad draw", all would be well...

Poser
    It is interesting for sure.... well actually, not really interesting at all. In general, humans tend to shorten everything they are involved with. Names, be it of climbs or people. And climbs, why do the grade 2/3 finish and walk off? Just put some litter in the ice and rappel. BAM! Lets get the thing we profess to love over with!

The only things that are lengthen are climbing and fish stories. Or if a dude is involved, it could very well be some other measurement.

I would like to see climbing areas called by what they are on, not near. ie; Mt. Pisgah & Rattlesnake Mountain. Actually never mind that, for then they would just be shortened to "The Piss" or The Snake."
    And lastly the "trad draw".... I don't know what that means so rant over.
    I'm on the lamb, but I ain't no sheep

It is the texting mentality that is bringing us down.

Quote Originally Posted by slink View Post
    It is the texting mentality that is bringing us down.
    I think you are spot on with the texting thing.

I must just be getting old because being hip/cool/trendy or "on trend" lol just seems more and more silly to me ever year that goes by. Frank's just sounds stupid and like something a 13 year old boy would say.

I am also kinda a younger version of Andy Rooney so go figure that's what i think.

Hi Cramer,
    Leaving the whole name shortening thing aside (!)...
    Unfortunately no, I didn't find your Mammut Hat on Shoestring.
    Wishing you well with the search and/or whatever winter hat you end up with next!
    -Kel