Total Knee Replacement - Anybody ice climbing after recovering from TKR?

Hi Folks!

Been away from the ice, all climbing really, trapped in an small, arthritic cave. Got knee replacement and expect to be able to hike as needed. I'm less than 4 months after surgery but things are looking generally good.

If it's all doom and gloom, please let me know so I can start selling my gear. If its all good or even partly good, please let me know so I can finally replace my straight Black Prophet with a more modern tool...gear lust is easily awakened :-)

Thanks, and, have a great season out there; maybe I'll be back for next season.

Rob

Cant add but you have my sympathy as i myself just got back from the ortho after two weeks off. I got as good of news as bad news can be. Bursitis and patella Tendonitis, otherwise he said my knee look great!

I was thinking the worst and scared shit though to be honest. Best of luck to you and take it easy or you could really regret it long term!!

Thanks Cramer, this is the 10th time for me in the PT mill. It's really gotten old!

Then again I heard yesterday the friends of Jeff L and Al H have had TKR and are back and climbing/skiing to beat the band! I'll check in to get pointers and just stay after it. Fortunately, my PT says there's only 2.5 more weeks before I can hit the fitness gym to start working back into shape.

Getting off the Rx meds was less of a challenge than folks think...so I was surprised that the chills, etc. lasted ony 4 days. I'll post back with milestones..

Best wishes for all to have safe and satifying seasons!

Some of the finest climbers on this site have bionic knees!

...ahh!

So, in the category of "will I now have a good golf swing?", I can look forward to such animprovement in my climbing?

;-)

Thanks, that gives me something to work on.

So my big question here is: how soon after the TKR can one reasonably expect to be climbing again? Rock, and Ice. My TKR is Mar 29 this year. Hoping to do some mild climbing in the Gunks in mid Aug. Reasonable expectation?
    Plan is to be ice climbing again Jan 2013.
    Robrox, when you say "...climbing/skiing to beat the band!" are you meaning aggressive, hi torque routes or, mild but often?
    Lastly, any thoughts on exercises specific to helping get back into climbing after the TKR?
    Thx!

proper training and guidance from an expert or a climbing guide can help you to come back again.It wont be that difficult but not too easy too..