Advertisement

Thread: Climbing Area

Climbing Area

Still balmy here... I recently moved to western MA, and heard about a place called "Hairpin Falls." Has anybody ever been there or does anyone have any beta regarding location/ access etc. Thanks.

Hairpin Falls is a fun little spot off route2 in North Adams. Short approach with a couple different routes. Send me an e-mail and I'll give you a better discription.

There's also some really nice mixed stuff up there, too

OOPPSS POSTED ON THE WRONG THREAD
    My daughter attends MCLA in N. Adams. We drive past the hair pin turn from time to time always wondering if that ice is long enough to climb.
    Any beta on the length of hair pin falls in the winter?

As for Mt. Tom the approach is a bitch(for this old fart) but there are a few interesting leads for the beginner/intermediate ice junkie.

Quote Originally Posted by JERKIS MACFARTIN View Post
    ...As for Mt. Tom the approach is a bitch(for this old fart) but there are a few interesting leads for the beginner/intermediate ice junkie.
    I did some stuff on Mt. Tom last year. Definitely some interesting leads up the little gullies. I didn't what I thought was the "Birch Tree" climb but ending up at the top and not on that climb. Cool mixed climbing and ice umbrella pulling for most of the climbs. Cloudy cold days are the best because those gullies pour water like it's their job.

Ice bitch and I hike or shoe up a few times every year.
    There is/are some interesting routes, did u climb the north facing gully where you have to climb under the rock before topping out?
    A few years back there was an ice climber who posted some pics with the routes names.

Hairpin Falls

Quote Originally Posted by Lizz View Post
    There's also some really nice mixed stuff up there, too
    What is the Hairpin Falls location? Is it in now?

Yuki,

Have you moved back to New England? Send me an e-mail. I live only a few miles from the Hairpin turn.

Jim B

Hey Jim,

I grew up in Williamstown and have climbed there a bunch but I now live in Amherst. Is there any ice to climb there now?

Thanks,
    Andy

Andy,

I was up there a couple of weeks ago and there was ice in the two gullies uphill (south) from the hairpin turn. I don't know if there are any other spots that are hidden from the road.

Jim B