Advertisement

hardcore ice climber

This question goes out to the older ice climbers out here. Does anyone remember (and know of a link to) the great tale of a hard core ice climber who got bitten in the crotch (i'm being polite) by an animal in an outhouse, possibly on New Years Eve and still went climbing the next day?

I am assuming I read this in rock and ice or climbing in the late 80's or early 90's. I remember some details - for instance the emergency room nurse thought this was just a New Years Eve prank - until she was shown the damage; That said critter was literally pissed off (or worse); That said critter may have been still attached upon leaving the outhouse; and most importantly that this HARDMAN led pitches the next day.

I have been looking for this story online, but have been unsuccesful in finding additional info or a reprint.

Re: hardcore ice climber

I do remember the story, but none of the details of where I read it.

for some reason, I don't think this happened in the rockies or the east coast. Possibly it was Minn or great lakes region?

I heard this story when I was in the Canadian Rockies in 1989 that it happened at one of the hostels along the Parkway. As I heard it, apparently some guy used the outhouse immediately before the victim and just peed. Then along comes Mr. Hapless who sat down and presented a nice target to the pissed-on and pissed-off varmint below, who bit his danglers, drawing a fair amount of blood. They went to Banff for medical attention and the admitting nurse thought it was a drunken prank until the evidence was laid bare!

I don't know if it was a true story or not but I always think of that when using an outhouse!

I think this hardcore climber's name was Les Johnson :P