This forum is Closed

Top-Rope in Daks

Heading into Colden Lake for 4 days with a friend to ski and hike. He has been scared (reasonably) on multi-pitch ice routes, but is okay if I lead a single pitch and set up a "multi-tree top-rope anchor".
    I don't think there is anything like this once you go into the High Peaks, but I haven't had much climbing this season and it sounds like the ice is good in there. Any thoughts welcome.

Re: Top-Rope in Daks

Be WAY carefull. The incidence of wet slab avalanche this time of year is very high. Read the accident account on Mt. Washington (Huntington's Ravine. Although it was not decribed in such terms, that's what it was.

Extreme caution is advised.

Also know that the Lake Colden (Avalanche Pass) region had an extremely lean ice season this year.

Yeah, the weather isn't looking like it will be on our side. We will probably have to stick to hiking trails and xc skiing. But the only ice that my buddy would be willing to get on would require a significant number of trees at the top for anchors, which would significantly reduce the avy danger. Of course, if it is too warm we'll just swim in the lake!

There is still ice up, why don't you just TR at someplace like, say, Pitchoff?

It's a very fast short approach (less than a minute) but the parking lot is plowed out, and there is ice, and there is, Yes, multiple trees to anchor off of. There is also the quarry right next to it with bomber trees at the top. Be careful working on the edge of the quarry though, some parts on the climbers right are steep and close to the edge. Depending on how comfortable you are should probably anchor in before rigging an anchor.

There is plenty of snow. I'm not sure the ice will last into next weekend given the weather forecast and the way things have already deteriorated.

Kicker and Chopper

There is a short climb just before the Avalance Pass slide, on the same side as the slide, if you are coming from Lake Colden. It can be top roped and has tons of trees above it. Not sure what will happen in the next few days with the really warm weather though. There is no avy potential and it is right off the trail. This makes it easy to check out if you are basing out of Lake Colden since I'm sure you will pass by it hiking at least once. Not sure I would lug the extra gear back there for just that but if you need to get your fix...

Quote Originally Posted by Will R View Post
    There is a short climb just before the Avalance Pass slide, on the same side as the slide, if you are coming from Lake Colden. It can be top roped and has tons of trees above it. Not sure what will happen in the next few days with the really warm weather though. There is no avy potential and it is right off the trail. This makes it easy to check out if you are basing out of Lake Colden since I'm sure you will pass by it hiking at least once. Not sure I would lug the extra gear back there for just that but if you need to get your fix...
    I'm looking for almost the exact same thing! I have a friend coming in to town next weekend with no ice or Adirondack experience so my friend and I are looking to give him a good combo of awesome Adirondack scenery (I love AVY pass!), some XC skiing, and a little bit of ice climbing. Something in that area that has a nice little spot to set up a stable top rope that we can fool around below would be ideal. Does anyone have any more info on this one or know of any others in the area?