This forum is Closed

Cape Ann MA - conditions?

Has anyone been around there recently?

Thanks!

A.

Re: Cape Ann MA - conditions?

Checked out Mod Gripping quarry yesterday. What little ice was there had either fallen down or was in the process of doing so.

Anyone know the other areas with ice at Cape Ann?

Thanks!

send me a pm

Not really a tall destination (not worth more than a 20-30 minute drive) but the crag at Dorset St, across from the Annisquam church on Washington St (route 127) has a few nice leadable ice/ mix lines.

After many years living in the west, I fondly recall several worthwhile - if ephemeral - mixed/ice bouldering areas. The quarry at Halibut Point features an ice flow that terminates at the mid-point of one short wall and requires a few moves of dry tooling to finish. The outlet of the Reservoir Quarry in Rockport on Rte 127 near Gull Cove has an ice flow on the left hand wall which has the potential of forming a curtain during a hard freeze. Lastly, my favorite problem is in a hidden quarry off Atlantic Street in West Gloucester (on the left, just before Bray Street as you head toward the beach). This quarry has one entertaining rock route that follows the steep ramp in the center and a shady 60' corner that reliably ices up on the right side--both of these problems are worthy short leads. Enjoy!