Poser

King Ravine, Madison Gulf linky & Castle Ravine

Tales of two different days...

Friday night 9:30pm.
    Appalachia parking lot Randolph... car bivy, beers, tunes & running my finger over my maps for the millionth time. It's all worn out.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gully's of the King.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	92.7 KB 
ID:	535
    The firm snow filled gullies of King Ravine.

Saturday 4-11
    The King Ravine sucked me in again for I wanted to link it with Madison Gulf. If you look at this route on a map you would think someone had a brain worm. The day was sunny and I enjoyed my beautiful surroundings. I did a gully just left of center up the headwall, then followed the Gulfside trail to the Madison-Adams col. I lost the trail down to the Madison Gulf ice and ended up bushwhacking to the route Point. I'm beginning to think the upper Madison Gulf Trail has vanished.

Name:	Madison Gulf.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	536
    Madison Gulf

The ice was still in but with a 6" layer of kitty litter guarding the solid placements. Think an ice climbing version of the Fisher Towers, luckily not that steep. I continued up on hard snow to Adams summit and descended the Airline. Wicked...

Name:	adams sign.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	537
    Adams summit

Sunday 4-12
    After another sweet car bivy, I decided to check out the Castle Ravine on Mt. Jefferson. I've often looked and wondered what this ravine would have in it from rt. 2 in Bowman. The day was cold, windy and light snow was in the air. The "path" started out in dirt form then became excellent hard snow. If any humans had been in there this yr. I did not see any sign of them. There are many brook crossings that were a bit tricky at times. There were also bear tracks all ova the place. Ether there was a slew of them up there or just one walking around like it lost the trail. ( sounds familiar...) After about 3+hrs. I got so I could see the all gully's, this place made King Ravine seem tame. The wind was blowing snow across the stunted spruce in ravine's fan and I had to do a long traverse right (which yielded easily) to the best looking gully. Fortunately this topped-out on the Castellated Ridge. Given the weather this was the best descent option, again the snow conditions were great. It was totally a winter day up there but awesome.
    Last edited by Alfonzo; 02-20-2013 at 08:24 PM.
    I'm on the lamb, but I ain't no sheep

Re: King Ravine, Madison Gulf linky & Castle Ravine

Nice! Winter is still alive in the mountains

Keep going Al!