This forum is Closed

BD Fuel vs. Petzl Nomic

The BD fuels seem new enough that there are not a lot of good experience-based reviews available on-line. Anyone here have any feedback on how they perform both on ice and on rock? Lots of great reviews for the Nomics, just getting back into ice/mixed after 10yrs off and I'm on the fence between the two. Does anyone have experience with both and could offer a comparison?

Cheers,
    Mike

The Fuels are outstanding on rock and better than the Fusions and the Nomics on ice. I I have a pair of X Dreams for leading and ice routes. I bought the Fuels to have tools I can beat up on mixed and drytooling routes. The Fuels are lighter than the Fusions. The Fusion ice picks seem to be holding up much better the Cassin Mixte picks. If only the BD picks cut through ice like the XDreams.

That said I would try both tools before you buy. Lahout's in Lincoln NH has the Fuels and Nomics for 20% off.

Hello Mike, I have a pair of BD Fuels, and I love them. Take what I have to say with a grain of salt though, because I'm new to ice climbing and have only used the BD Fuels and Vipers. I've climbed the Fuels on both mixed and ice, and found I really like how they are easier to get good sticks on more vertical, technical ice than the Vipers. A guy I climb with recently gave them a test drive and thought they were a bit bouncy when trying to stick in the ice more so than his Nomics. He said he preferred his Nomics over the Fuels. I can't really comment on the Nomics because I've never used them before. Not sure if it's a deal breaker for you, but the Fuels have no means for a hammer to be incorporated, while the Nomics do. One other side note - Petzl seems to like to change the picks, making old tools obsolete because you can't buy picks anymore. BD doesn't really seem to do that.

Thank you very much for the feedback to both of you. Much appreciated. I think the issues you raise samtrain are consistent with mine. I like the interchangability of the BD picks and the fact they have stayed the same, and I've always been happy with BD products. The one issue, which truth be told I don't even know how much of an issue it will even be, is the one about the lack of hammerhead on the Fuels. Both your reviews for the Fuels are reassuring... just a matter of deciding!

Fish - I've figured if I need a hammer, I'll pick up a piton hammer and take it with me when it looks like I'll need it. Just climbed Black Chasm last weekend, and loved how well they stuck in the hero ice on the left of the falls, and on the right where the ice was littered with dinner plates under good ice. I'm going to try and hold on to my Vipers for more all-mountain use (if I can sneak it past my wife!), but my Fuels are my go-to tools for anything technical.

Unless you are putting up new rts or doing a really obscure mixed thing you don't need a hammer.

Thanks again everyone. Just rec'd the Fuels, can't wait to try em out tomorrow.