This forum is Closed

broken: Plastic strap on Grivel Crampon

Hi, there, I have a pair of Grivel G10 crampons with plastic strap. I purchased it in the fall of 2009. So it is about five years old. Two days ago, the plastic strap broke. Please see the photos. I am wondering how often this happens. I take good care of my gear. We were climbing WI3-4 routes when it broke. The temperature was about 10F/-14C.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.JPG 
Views:	219 
Size:	92.8 KB 
ID:	1356   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	1357   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.JPG 
Views:	224 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	1358   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 4.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	1359  

I don't know the actual failure rate, but Grivel says the G10 are a general mountaineering crampon, not really suited to a lot of hard frontpointing. I would think the plastic front bail would be prone to breaking on WI4; I think I would want a steel front bail for frontpointing vertical ice.

G22 with the plastic straps

But how about the G22 with new matic configuration? As shown in the photo, it has the plastic strap, too. I would expect these are for technical ice routes. You would kick into WI5 and even occasionally rocks.

Grivel's offical reply to my broken G10 was that they only warranty the poons for three years.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	g22.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	1361  

Another consideration is how hard you've used them the past 6 winter seasons now they've been in use. Grivel recommends switching gear out after a number of years depending on your usage. If you really go hard on gear, then you probably should go two or mayne three seasons as they recommend (this being for those who use gear like every other weekend or so, as I understand). Moderate use is like 3 to 5 (average user), light is like 5 or 6 (light as in you barely use them). Obviously if they show signs of deterioration then switch them out, but they recommend it so you don't have them break in the middle of an outing. Mixed climbing also has a toll, obviously. Don't quote me on the figures, I haven't looked at the pamphlet in a bit, but I think the idea gets across.

G10s for WI4? That is quite something. I barely would be comfortable beyond WI2 or a snow climb with mine.

Although this pair of G10 was purchased in fall 2009, it was only used for less than 15 days in total. It is my loaner pair. I lent it to my friend who was following a short WI4 when the strap broke (Apparently she was pretty good at ice climbing, eh!) I was surprised by its failure because it did not see much use for the past five years.

Can you order the part from grivel? You just need to drill out the rivets, install new part and rivet it back...Easy job if you can get the part.

What boots/size boots where you using with them?

It was used on a size women's 10 salomon and a size women's size 8 kayland.

Quote Originally Posted by Extrablue View Post
    What boots/size boots where you using with them?

Grivel sold me a pair of the front part at pro deal. So I now have an extra.

Quote Originally Posted by granjo View Post
    Can you order the part from grivel? You just need to drill out the rivets, install new part and rivet it back...Easy job if you can get the part.

I have a pair of Air Techs with the New Matic binding (plastic front, metal clamp back) but they haven't gotten much use because now I have the Lynx which are far better for steep ice. But I would like to replace the metal back with the plastic like their "New Classic" bindings. Anybody have any ideas where I can get that part?