This forum is Closed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    feed me offwidths
    Thinking of heading over to climb the North Face of Gothics this weekend.
    Anyone been over there this week? Any conditions to report?

feed me offwidths
    Went to climb the North Face on Saturday, just as we got to the base the wind picked up, the snoe started falling and the ceiling dropped.
    70mph gusts coming down the face pretty much sealed the no go.
    Thin year, there's some thin portions on the left side that can be connected together.

I climbed Gothics North Face yesterday (3/22/15). It is in great shape right now. I climbed a line just left of the center of the face. It was all neve and thin water ice. There was a small patch of wind slab that I had to negotiate around. The wind was fierce, but it was blowing up the face at my back. The cornice at the top is huge. The approach is easy right now. I'd recommend snowshoes although I didn't bother with them. I descended the cable route off the west (climber's right at the top). The trail was hard to find in sections and it was deep. Snowshoes would have been nice here. It took about 5 hrs. car to car, but I was moving at a pretty good clip.

feed me offwidths
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisfey View Post
    I climbed Gothics North Face yesterday (3/22/15). It is in great shape right now. I climbed a line just left of the center of the face. It was all neve and thin water ice. There was a small patch of wind slab that I had to negotiate around. [...] It took about 5 hrs. car to car, but I was moving at a pretty good clip.
    You're a friggin machine!
    I had the wind and snow blowing down the face on Saturday, pretty nasty.

If you've never done Gothics, do it, especially this year. I had never climbed it until Monday, and it is worth the trip. What a hoot. With the warm up and moisture tonight and tomorrow, it may just get better with the cold settling in once again after that.

Avalanche conditions?

Quote Originally Posted by pbayers View Post
    If you've never done Gothics, do it, especially this year. I had never climbed it until Monday, and it is worth the trip. What a hoot. With the warm up and moisture tonight and tomorrow, it may just get better with the cold settling in once again after that.
    I'm considering heading up this weekend but a bit concerned about the snowfall expected tomorrow. How concerned should I be about avalanche risk?

I guess it depends on how much snow falls. I climbed the face on Sunday and skied nearby it on Tuesday. Right now, things are good to go except for obvious wind loaded sections. Even those may be fine, but you can just climb around them so there's no need to mess around with them. I doubt much will change since we are not going to get much snow. That being said, no one will be able to predict what will happen on the face without being there. Most likely, it will be fine, but six inches of snow mixed with wind could make some avalanche conditions possible.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gothics N Face Direct.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	1391
    Climbed N Face on 3/29. It's a few inches of POW over mixture of verglas, anorthosite, neve with some deeper snow 2/3 of the way up Direct route. Obvious ice line in center is a couple inches thick.
    Last edited by mudrat; 03-31-2015 at 09:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mudrat View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gothics N Face Direct.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	1391
    Climbed N Face on 3/9. It's a few inches of POW over mixture of verglas, anorthosite, neve with some deeper snow 2/3 of the way up Direct route. Obvious ice line in center is a couple inches thick.
    3/29