PDA

View Full Version : Top Roping in Huntington

ADKSherpa
02-04-2014, 09:44 AM
My friend and I are hoping, weather and avalanche depending, on getting in to climb Central Gully from Huntington Ravine this weekend. We're taking a friend to stay in at Harvard Cabin with us that wont be climbing the ravine with us. He's just getting into ice climbing. I was curious if there were any good top-roping destinations around Harvard Cabin or Huntington that we might be able to bring him to? Any ideas? Thanks!

leaf
02-04-2014, 10:23 AM
You can top rope the Yale Slab (I've done this) or maybe even the Harvard Bulge (I have not done this). Screws are needed for the anchor. So if it's sunny, make sure you keep checking 'em.

rpdoucette
02-04-2014, 10:26 AM
Two small steep flows tend to form on either side of the Ravine, and could be toproped. Hike up to some open ground above the cabin and above the first aid cache. Turn around and look back down the valley and you might see short (less than 40') flows over on the far left and far right. The one on the left faces south and would be more comfy to stand around for a TR. Ive never climbed either one. The temps/winds through the weekend make it unlikely you will want to go into the Ravine though...

tradman
02-04-2014, 09:24 PM
TRing on any of the multi pitch routes would be in extreemly poor form and dangerous if any climbers were above you.

leaf
02-05-2014, 12:01 AM
Yale Gully isn't exactly Standard Route. Chances are you won't find anyone else heading up the gully. But if you are there and a party comes up to climb, the slab is plenty spacious and there would be no problems giving them the right of way. And once that happens of course, it can be dangerous with them above you. I don't see any ethical or moral dilemma with TRing the slab if its safe to do so. Having a blanket "rule" about TRing a multi pitch route is silly, in my opinion.