PDA

View Full Version : Dixville Notch

hisatva
01-16-2014, 01:37 PM
Anyone been up to Dixville Notch this week? Wondering how it faired. Heading up that way this weekend.

Thanks

Markvnh
01-17-2014, 05:10 PM
I'm headed up Saturday and will let you know if you're headed up Sunday. If you're there Saturday I guess we will both find out - and there's enough space for two parties normally!

Markvnh
01-19-2014, 04:23 PM
Big and fat. And nobody else.

hisatva
01-20-2014, 05:21 AM
I was up there Sunday and it was in great shape, and likewise not a soul in sight. What a great setting. The Scottish wall was also in great condition. I'll put up some photos here when I get a chance.

Markvnh
01-20-2014, 08:13 AM
Sorry I didn't post sooner. Was dealing with a sick pet when I got home. Post Scottish Gully pics as the only ones I've ever seen made it look like a turf thrash!

hisatva
01-20-2014, 08:23 AM
Parasol and the Scottish wall.
Parasol Gully in fine fat shape.
P1
P2
Scottish Wall
Right shoulder of the wall.
Fun mixed ground.
The center gully on the wall. Fun climbing. Bailed about a pitch up. Too spicy for me un-roped, though surely quite moderate for many.

Definitely going back for the mixed stuff here.

hisatva
01-20-2014, 08:47 AM
The central gully on the Scottish wall.

I bailed at the end of the solid line. Great mixed terrain (in my limited experience). Lots of hooks, iced corners and cracks, turf sticks, and snow. Very "Scottish" I would think. Certainly plenty of options on the wall and a great adventure.

My interest was peeked by a post on neclimbs http://www.neclimbs.com/SMF_2/index.php?topic=5755.0 a few years ago (with some pictures) by Jamie Cunningham about a climb done by John Sykes, Jamie, and others. Their route is depicted and looks like it partially follows this central gully. I sure plenty of climbing has been done on this wall.

Anyway, a fun and interesting area.

Cheers,

Gil

Markvnh
01-20-2014, 09:04 AM
Gil,

Thanks for posting up the pics! Scottish Gully still looks like a mixed thrash. I think I need to bring my Scottish climbing partner to do that and confirm the authenticity!

Looks like it snowed a bit overnight too from Saturday.

Glad you had a good day out.

Mark