PDA

View Full Version : Does the new Petzl Lim'ice screw sharpener work well?

chrisfey
12-04-2013, 06:19 AM
Does it work well? Is it worth the investment?

leaf
12-04-2013, 09:25 AM
http://www.iceclimbingforums.com/showthread.php?9648-Petzl-Ice-Screw-Sharpener-(link)

some discussion here

Extrablue
01-18-2014, 12:01 PM
My GF just got me one for Xmas. It changes your points to Petzl's shape, but it seems totally worth it to get my 8 year old screws razor sharp again.

Graham
02-04-2014, 02:49 AM
I've been using one for a little while now and I quite like it. it doesn't match the contours of a brand-new screw (BD or Grivel) exactly, but it does a way better job that I have ever done by hand. If you're not a pedantic screw-weenie who is fussy if their screws aren't exactly the way they bought them, then it's great. Worth it, in my opinion

gunked
02-07-2014, 11:08 PM
I've been hesitant to comment on these toys as it might seem as if I'm threatened by them. I used it last year a bit before they came out on the market. I'm Jason from wwww.anicescrew.com. That said... F___ it! Here's my honest (unbiased as per my business) opinion:

I have played with this thing a bit and it has it's place.
-if someone needs to give a fine sharpen to a slightly nicked screw in the field, this thing will work well after new shape is attained.
-it WILL change the height of the points in relationship to each other as it only sharpens one at a time. (Screws work best when all points are cutting at the same time!)
-the file is kinda cheap and flimsy and will probably require replacement quicker than expected. I used a messed up screw on it and quickly saw the damage on the file as it was being de-tuned.
-if you hit rock and dull a point, this will only bring that point down.
-it does, as noted by others, have a very specific shape that it will conform your screws to. This shape will NOT work as well as a new BD. If you like that sort of thing (works like a new screw), I can only think of two places to send them to.

Side note: I've used new BD's and new Petzl screws side by side on lead and found that the BD's are still superior in starting and have decreased resistance while going in. This makes sense as the length of the cutting surface is greater on the BD.

My synopsis: somewhat useful in the field as a fine sharpener. For regular use with little damage, will get your screws to a useable shape, though it will change current configuration to do so. For damaged to heavily damaged points I wouldn't expect much out of this thing as it will give you an end result of points with different heights significant enough to notice the difference!

-Jason