PDA

View Full Version : Marmot PreCip Gore Tex FAIL

KZKlimber
03-17-2013, 04:29 PM
The gore tex around the shoulder seam of my Marmot PreCip jacket is tearing in several spots about an inch or so from the seam. Anyone else have a similar problem with a 2 layer gore tex garment? You would think it would be designed to stand up to pack straps. I reinforced it with some duct tape.

On a related note the wrist tab on my EMS Deluge gore tex jacket tore off. EMS replaced the jacket without question.

brokesomeribs
03-17-2013, 06:20 PM
Send it back to Marmot. Fill out the RMA/Warranty for on their website. They'll repair it no problem.

gunkiemike
03-17-2013, 07:19 PM
I thought PreCip was their own brand on waterproof/breathable coating i.e. NOT GoreTex. (it's durability is terrible BTW. Basically these are one year disposable jackets)

haroldson5
03-17-2013, 07:49 PM
Right on Mike, definitely not gore tex. Not even membrain, their other fabric. PreCip is basically a windbreaker after a few months.

KZKlimber
03-17-2013, 08:49 PM
Yeah, Precip is their own brand, I just called it gore tex. I did fill out a warranty to send it back. I got it off the clearance rack at Teton Mountaineering for $50, now I know why.

KZKlimber
05-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Marmot sent me a brand new jacket, we'll see how long this one holds up. Between Marmot and EMS I have 2 new shells.

RJNoble
03-13-2014, 06:38 PM
Kevin, I had a Precip for years. Lasted great for about 3 before it started descaling.
That is similar to gortex but its not goretex..obviously. Wher eit saves weight and bulk is not having an extra layer of fabric that protects that scaley membrane. If you dont wash it often in one of those tech washes[ not house hold detergent,that hurts the water water proofing but one of the washes like NicWax makes] now and then all of salt from sweating starts to erode that white membrane and start it flaking.

deadpoint
03-19-2014, 09:45 PM
Send it back to Marmot. Fill out the RMA/Warranty for on their website. They'll repair it no problem.
Marmot will only warranty items that aren't "end of life", meaning haven't been replaced by a newer model. In tried to warranty a goretext hard shell that was delaminating but it was EOL according to them. The coats 11 years old now, and this was 4 years ago.

That really pissed me off so I'll never buy their technical clothes again, and I get pro deal. Patagonia on the other hand is no questions asked and I've warrentied a bunch of gear. Same for outdoor research, they just warrentied a 6 year old parka sight unseen!