PDA

View Full Version : Shoestring

cripple
02-22-2013, 02:11 PM
Anyone been on shoestring lately?

VTMtnClimber
02-22-2013, 04:08 PM
I was up there on Monday... Not too much snow to wade thru and plenty of ice.

cripple
02-27-2013, 10:12 PM
Did it on Saturday. Great conditions.

tmbirdsall2
03-07-2013, 06:57 AM
Can you start up the Mt. Webster trail and cut across at the base to go up the gully? Or is it best to walk up the road. Don't want to park up there and get my car towed.
Thanks!

moodus2006
03-07-2013, 09:50 AM
We parked a little north of the Ethan Pond trail head (plowed spot on the road) Trail is there just climb over the snow bank to see it. Conditions on Saturday 3/2 were great.

tmbirdsall2
03-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Good to know. Lucky you didn't get towed. They've been threatening towing anyone who parks there this winter. Last weekend was gorgeous! Glad you had a great time out!

mikeinnh
03-12-2013, 06:51 PM
anybody have an educated opinion on whether shoestring is still in decent condition after this rain/thaw today? thinking about making the trip up there tomorrow...

tmbirdsall2
03-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Was good but full of snow on Saturday 3/9.

coldshot
03-13-2013, 09:02 AM
did a quick run up on monday. good amount of ice in the middle sections, alot of snow at the bottom and top but pretty stepped out. it was almost 50 on monday so it was a one shirt day very enjoyable. not sure what this rain did could be slushie.

alwoodsmithy
03-17-2013, 08:35 PM
Climbed it today... awesome conditions and would really recommend you climb it before its gone. 4 pitches of solid ice and the rest snow. It was awesome!

Ric1
03-21-2013, 10:33 PM
where are you supposed to park now if you climb shoestring? thanks.

Sk8ter617
04-02-2013, 10:33 AM
Anyone been up or even driven by shoestring in the last 5-7 days? What's the status? Thanks!

leaf
04-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Ric1 - safest place is at the AT trail/Webster Cliff trail end. Then you can do the road walk in the beginning of the day and come out at your car. Or you can go across the bridge and take the trail.

I've seen cars parked on the opposite side of the road and a little further down from the original shoestring pull-out, but I'm not sure how kosher that is.

Sk8ter - drove by this past weekend (sunday afternoon), looked like the approach will be bouldery, as the snow low is melting, but the ice still looked good... from the road.

Ridgerunner
04-02-2013, 01:12 PM
Friday morning, I parked at the usual place (near the abandoned sign), not knowing about the new policy. I did not get any ticket. But it sure makes sense to park at the AT trail head !

wildbill
04-02-2013, 03:32 PM
I climbed it last Friday the 30th. Ice was good and the bulges still big, the exit out right had ice as well. there's a pic in the photo section., Nice to meet you again Ridgerunner.
on the other side of the notch: left hand Monkey Wrench? was HUGE as was upper Hitchcock the east face slabs and the cleft. plus its getting cold again for a wee bit;)

Sk8ter617
04-03-2013, 12:09 PM
All - thanks for the information.

I'm looking at the picture from 3.29.13 and I can't figure out where that is on the route. I've only climbed shoestring once so far. I took a right after attempting to go up the chimney (it was very wet the day we climbed), it was one of the rock finishes. So as you come to the top of the gully there is the chimney, there is a small ice pitch, there are some rock finishes, and the gully goes left. The day we climbed the snow was very wet and soft, so we opted to get out on the rock finish. Is there more ice above if we kept going up the gully? Is that where that is? Or is this the ice pitch after the chimney?

I'm hoping with the cold nights the ice will hold out until after Sunday. Any updates as we enter the warming cycle at the end of the week would be greatly appreciated.

Climb Smart.

piste
04-04-2013, 08:43 AM
That photo was taken from the top of direct finish. That's the last pitch option, so you can go straight to trees, usually snow, or traverse right and do the direct finish. Just below skinny birch tree, traverse right and diagonal right to top. So if you want direct finish, don't go onto chockstone exit which is pitch below direct finish.