PDA

View Full Version : BD 'poons question

Crag
02-19-2013, 09:42 AM
Was very hesitant to move away from my trusted Grivel crampons but I was in need of a new pair, ('poons in the parking lot are not good.) I was prepared to purchase the latest and the greatest from Grivel but Santa Clause left me a bright shiny pair of BD Cyborgs. So far this season no problems. Haven't even had to think about them. Except for one peculiar issue, never saw this before, the bail strap drifts from it's initial center point towards my big toe after climbing. The bail wire fits my boots just fine but the STS strap doesn't stay put. I've got the heal lever and the keeper strap torqued tightly but still it moves. Just a little unnerving. Anyone else, if so have you done anything about it.

slevasse
02-19-2013, 12:23 PM
I don't recall mine doing that, but I cut that sucker off after using them twice. I prefer to just have the strap wrap around my ankle. If they do fall off, I know the crampon will still be hanging from my ankle at least.

Scottie loves ice
02-19-2013, 02:45 PM
Mine do the same thing. Eventually it will move far enough over that it will loosen the ankle strap.

I think I am going to try to cut it off and see what happens.....

Other than that, great crampon!

Dane
02-20-2013, 05:27 PM
20 seconds and a pir of tin snips will get you started. But before you ditch Grivel do a search for BD crampon failures.

http://www.mountainproject.com/v/removing-toe-strap-from-cyborgs/107396435#a_107406988

grammy
02-22-2013, 11:20 AM
I kind of went against my better judgement and bought a pair of the BD Stingers (despite some of the information out there with regard to their heel lever failing). I have to say, I really lilke these pons. Very good on steep ice...better than I had originally hoped and got them really more for mixed. I climbed a lousy first pitch of Penguin during ice festival (no ice or snow...just rock) and these things were precise and stable. They crept up the verglas and fit nicely into small cracks and pockets amazingly well. I too snipped off those crappy toe bail tethers...they suck, just remember to shorten the straps when you do, otherwise you will have 10" of unwanted length...like my wife! :-P

homeless junkie
02-22-2013, 12:10 PM
I have a pair of Cyborgs and I never notice that problem. I do notice the strap is loose at the end of the day but it never gets in the way. Does it matter about the bail wire moving? Now I'm worried. I'm so OCD with the tension of heel lever. The harder the route the more I mess with my crampons.. unless I'm following.

I would never cut any of that off as I've tracking my weight loss. Two years ago when I purchased the Cyborgs I cut the strap a hair too short. My friends wanted to put my fat ass on YouTube trying to tighten that strap. I wasn't flexible enough and/or my gut got in the way. If that didn't work against me I would get a cramp in my Hammy because I was so outta shape. Makes me laugh now.. Thought you would too!

Dallas
02-25-2013, 08:21 AM
The problem I had with the Stingers is the toe bail is too wide for the Scarpa Phantom Guide, so I put it in a vise and made it narrower. Now it fits the boot like a glove.

I also took the toe bail straps off and it's way better. The strap now acts as an extra force to keep the heel locked down. Here's a shot.