PDA

View Full Version : The Black Dike

jakekirk
02-06-2013, 12:38 PM
Bailed off the dike yesterday. Couldn't scrap up the first pitch (which is funny because I solo'd it 4 weeks ago). There was literally no ice on the first pitch, and there really wasn't any great pro options. If I had hexes I might have hammered one in somewhere, but there was too much verglas for cams. The second pitch was pretty thin, looked marginally better than last time I did it (would have probably bailed there too). Third pitch looked great.
jake

Icebreaker
02-08-2013, 09:09 PM
Also Bailed out today ;-). Never seen it in this conditions. The first pitch is literally washed out to dry compact rock covered in fresh snow... Treading lightly.
Thanks for the two red rap cordellettes Jake, made it a wee but further and down climbed to your anchor, but gear ahead is ??? and fall would be way nasty with too many fine fins for comfort. Stopped in Littleton at the Italian Oasis for my fav pizza Polyanna (caramelized onions, gorgonzola cheese, mushrooms and pine nuts) for reward to have travelled the nasty trails twice... up and down ;-)
Cheers
PS The previous thread although started fine turned out very lame in terms of pertinent conditions data which is the purpose of this forum.

Alfonzo
02-08-2013, 09:27 PM
Bernie, I was right across the notch from you today. Too bad about the dike my friend. Glad you rallied with pizza!
~a

Icebreaker
02-08-2013, 09:36 PM
Ah man too bad we missed each other. I was with Nath.
Did you get decent ice?
G'day mate ;-)

Alfonzo
02-08-2013, 09:53 PM
Always do!

mcday
02-09-2013, 07:28 PM
I did end up climbing the dike on Thursday. Super thin..well I'll say no ice on the first 3/4 of the first pitch. 2nd-super thin after rock traverse but then the chimney was super fun. 3rd had ice but it was boiler plate and my axes sounded like they were hitting rock it was so hard. Good day out - the calm before the storm. See pics below

Alfonzo
02-09-2013, 09:07 PM
Excellent effort and photos!