PDA

View Full Version : Mt Lincoln, Throat & Mullet

Alfonzo
01-20-2013, 06:24 PM
Sunday, 1/20/13

Snowshoes for the approach, though not totally necessary, made life easier. Plenty of exposed ice and hard snow in the drainage once in view of the climbs. The Franconia Ridge was a mix of wind blown bare ground, water ice and good snow. The descent down the Falling Waters Trail perfect.

Mullet.
Though the start was lean looking from below, the ice was tacky and excellent. The two lowest starts are in good and the ice thick from the low ledge on up.

Throat.
A fair amount of snow to the ice hose. Above looked real good.

jmh5331
01-21-2013, 11:14 PM
Enough snow to ski the Throat, or do I have to wait until March?

Alfonzo
01-22-2013, 05:42 AM
Not yet, though I'm sure it is skiable for someone. I don't think you'll have to wait until March however.

Gates
02-04-2013, 03:15 PM
if i can lead 3s and 3+s would i be ok to solo this?

leaf
02-04-2013, 05:44 PM
There is no way that question can be answered. Every person and every route is different. And within that, a person's mind can be at different places depending on the day.. and the ice route can be in different condition depending on the hour. That is what makes grades relative.

Derby
02-04-2013, 06:11 PM
I would add that if you have to ask this question then it's not a good idea. Go with a friend and take a rope and solo the lower easy stuff. If the ice is friendly and you feel great, then go ahead and solo at the crux.

paulbalegend
02-04-2013, 10:42 PM
I would add that if you have to ask this question then it's not a good idea. Go with a friend and take a rope and solo the lower easy stuff. If the ice is friendly and you feel great, then go ahead and solo at the crux.

well said! i agree.

egilbert
02-11-2013, 10:48 PM
Climbed the Throat and Mullet Feb 10. The ice in the throat was just thick enough for 16cm screws. Higher up it took 19cm screws. Mullet route was thinner.
See route pictures.

A friend dropped an ice tool to the base of the Mullet slabs that we weren't able to recover. Free 6-pack of beer to anyone who finds it. (BD viper hammer with 'tx-11-01' written on it). Send me an email at [email protected]
Thanks!

Cillbeast
02-17-2013, 12:12 PM
Climbed the throat on 2-16 deep snow, and the ice is thin and narrow, not conditions for the newbe