PDA

View Full Version : Mt. Willard 1/4/13

Alfonzo
01-04-2013, 10:13 PM
All I can totally confirm are the conditions of what I was on, Cinema and Upper Hitchcock. They are excellent. I will however say the Upper East Face Left is super good, for we walked right under it. I'm sure the Upper East Face Right, Cleft and Read Between are all good too and most likely a bit juicy.

The numbered gullies looked good too, but that is a "from the tracks" guess. In a nut shell, there is plenty of ice to climb on Willard.

pcooke
01-04-2013, 10:22 PM
The numbered gullies looked good too, but that is a "from the tracks" guess.

Closer than the road!

Alfonzo
01-04-2013, 10:27 PM
I figure about 87.4% closer Pat.

carp
01-04-2013, 10:46 PM
...and most likely a bit juicy.

Mmmmm, I like juicy.

J-rod
01-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Hi Alan,
Yes the cleft was a bit juicy, but in excellent form, the lhmw was a little thin at topout but good otherwise. It wasa pleasure walking out with you and mike yesterday.
Jared

Alfonzo
01-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Yes it was Jared, I hope we entertained you! And thanks for the route (s) info AND donating my friend!

Cheers,
Alan

carp
01-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Took a trip up Willard yesterday, 1/5, with the Man with the Smoking Face. All the trails were well packed and off trail the snow wasn't bad at all. LHMW was in decent enough shape. The Cleft was fantastic. Beautiful views from the summit. Great place on a great day.

tedham
01-06-2013, 10:17 AM
Hi Alan,
Yes the cleft was a bit juicy, but in excellent form, the lhmw was a little thin at topout but good otherwise. It wasa pleasure walking out with you and mike yesterday.
Jared

I hope Alfonzo and MikeG did not corrupt you too much Jared!

mountains62
01-10-2013, 12:30 PM
What are the two routes and grades of said routes to the right of the entrance to the Cleft? The first is a rock corner with some fixed gear to a tiered ice top out, and the second climbs small steps up into a chimney with ice on the right and rock on the left. Looks Grade 4ish...any ideas?

piste
01-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Ice line is called Read Between the Lines and it's grade 4. Mix line might be Damsel in Distress?

pcooke
01-10-2013, 01:39 PM
Damsel is the first to the right with the tiers moving up to the pillars at the top. Read between the lines to the right of that. Drytooling/mixed corner between the two... no idea on grade for it though.

nightclimber
01-11-2013, 06:30 PM
I believe they are both grade 4. Damsel being mixed and needing some rock gear, Between the lines can seem a lot harder than it looks, if the ice top out doesnt appeal to you, you can head right through a scratchy mixed exit. This also can be pretty spicy if there is no ice on the mixed exit.