PDA

View Full Version : Patagonia Nano Puff

carp
01-04-2013, 08:53 PM
After reading the last thread in this section, I thought that I would take a moment to sing the praises of one of my all time favorite pieces of outdoor gear, my Nano Pullover. I got it a few years ago, can't remember exactly when, but it was about a year after they first came out. Since then, this thing has been just about everywhere with me. I originally bought it because it is relatively cheap for a light puffy, but it is so light that when I'm packing for a trip I usually just say "why not?"!! Shoulder season belays on Cannon. Yep. Summertime above tree-line insurance plan. Sure. Keep it on my harness for building anchors after leading an ice pitch. Always. Easy to pack warm-up for snoozing in the airport on my way to Florida. That too. In short, this thing has been everywhere with me, and I'm always glad that I have it. Tomorrow I will be bringing for a cold day up on Willard as my layering piece between my R1 hoody and my Knifeblade pullover, and, yep, it's great for that too.

I have the pullover, which I don't think they make anymore. I think now you have to get a full zip, which is too bad. I like pullovers. But the beauty of this jacket is its simplicity. It's warmer by a hair than my R2, but is also wind proof. It has one pocket to hold your stash, which it also stuffs into. When stuffed it is about the size of a ramen packet and not much heavier. They even included a handy little clip loop. Pop a neutrino on it, clip it to a rear gear loop, and you'll never even know its there until you need it. I think it's sized really well too. I can get it over or under most of my shells, but its still slim enough to tuck into my harness and climb a pitch.

I think it retails for about $150, but you can almost always find them on sale. I'm pretty sure I got mine at the outlet in Freeport for under $100. Well worth it. I would imagine that it wouldn't be too hard to get one even cheaper for a little effort.

Anyways, great jacket. And if you're out on Willard tomorrow, me and my Nano will see you there.

sween345
01-05-2013, 10:01 AM
Carp,

If you need to replace, or want a new color the pullover is still available http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-nano-puff-pullover?p=84020-0-340
Even though the retail price is inching up they still can be found for around $100

miron
01-07-2013, 10:38 PM
i agree with Carp, this thing is awesome

climbingbetty
02-25-2013, 10:58 PM
I concur. I will be that person crying & catatonic in the corner when and if mine ever bites the dust.

Dillbag
02-26-2013, 11:06 AM
How about the full-zip hoody? Anyone have one of those...

VTMtnClimber
02-26-2013, 01:15 PM
I have the full zip hoody and love it as much as other people love their pullovers. It too can stow in its own pocket and the hood is fitted very slim(but not overly tight) and goes under my helmet easily. This as my daily jacket if it's dry and over 20 degrees. If/when mine dies it will be replaced in kind.

sween345
02-26-2013, 06:34 PM
Dill,

Check your PMs