PDA

View Full Version : Flume (Crawford Notch), Beaver Brook, Parasol...

rmbalzano
12-19-2012, 05:04 PM
Parasol looked solid on Sunday when I drove by on my way home.

Beaver Brook in Colebrook was coming in thick but still had a lot of running water on Sunday.

Climbed the Flume in Crawford Notch on Saturday with the Mrs. and the dogs. The dogs followed up the side of the trail. First time swinging a pair of axes since I moved back east from Oregon. There was some ice to climb and a lot of running water. More of an adventure outing. The only real sustained 1-2 part was "in enough" for me. The little chasm up top was flowing. We had to bushwack to join up with the trail.

The tracks across from the parking lot were coming in somewhat... Ice puberty at best.

Happy climbing.

suunto
12-19-2012, 10:04 PM
Hi RMbalzano,

i know about Parasol but dont know about Beaver Brook. I live an hour away from parasol so I could go climb there if the climb worth it :)

Do you have a small description or informations about beaver brook:confused:

Thanks

:D

rmbalzano
12-19-2012, 10:48 PM
Beaver Brook Falls are in Colebrook NH. Its in "the" northern New England ice guidebook, but the directions are wrong. The book says to travel north from Colebrook center on Rte 3, but actually from downtown Colebrook you take 145 north to Beaver Brook Falls Natural Area, which is basically a pull off and some picnic benches, and a big flow visible from the road. If you're heading south from Pittsburg NH you can pick up 145 as well. The falls are as roadside as it gets. They can be easily soloed.

rmbalzano
12-19-2012, 10:53 PM
Not my pics but its on this site. Poke around. Pretty easy, juggy type flow.

http://www.iceclimbingphotos.com/showphoto.php/photo/9176/title/beaver-brook-falls-on-12-23/cat/500

suunto
12-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Excellent!!

I know exactly where it will be!:)

Its nice to go somewhere else to have some fun and spend some times in the outdoor. Thanks for the info

:cool:

Ridgerunner
12-22-2012, 04:05 PM
The Flume. Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.

rmbalzano
12-23-2012, 09:00 AM
My lady and I were the only people there. Early season luck I guess.

Derby
12-23-2012, 09:22 PM
The Flume. Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded.
Ask Ridgerunner what size hat he wears early in the season and he'll say "I'm not sure, I'm not in shape yet"

Alfonzo
12-23-2012, 09:38 PM
I think two different "Flumes'es" are being spoken of? One in Crawford, near Silver Cascade... and the other by Ridge, in Franconia Crotch?

rmbalzano
12-23-2012, 10:13 PM
I think two different "Flumes'es" are being spoken of? One in Crawford, near Silver Cascade... and the other by Ridge, in Franconia Crotch?

Crawford notch next to silver. And nnot from
NH. spent the last few years in the cascades not swinging an ice axe and not really familiar with local terrain. Sorry for the mix.

climb207
12-27-2012, 07:46 AM
i got up on parasol early season. probably first ascent of the year. and it was amazing. after we get this snow tonight. that climb will be sweet if it doest stick to the ice because u will be able to have a nice glissade down the sister gully