PDA

View Full Version : Horseshoe gully.

climb207
12-07-2012, 04:20 PM
How is the ice up in there. Want to do it tomorrow morning

Alfonzo
12-08-2012, 05:09 AM
I doubt there is much climbable ice on Mt. Webster right now, even with last two days being cold. Rain & sleet up high this wk.end, then it cools back down durning next week. That gully is best climbed with little snow for sure, but not little ice... Unless one is looking for semi frozen in place crud and wet slabs. If you want ice now go high and pick something with a low water flow.

pukthief16
12-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Climb207; wish I saw your post sooner. I went up Horseshoe on that same Sunday. It was reasonable, given the weather trends. A few inches on the lowest slab with no shortage of running water. The first apron above the slabs was not touching yet.. higher up was a bit more reliable ice. But I ventured into one of the offshoot gullies higher up only to deal with a nasty bushwack. Ended up on rock to gain a ridge and bushwack to the top of the ridge. The ice higher up was decent though. I can only imagine it improved this week..

Alfonzo; I'm planning on a night in Crawford tonight, have you been up in the last few days. Any beta for Shoestring or Williard (Hitchcocks / Upper East area)..?

rbirk
12-13-2012, 02:30 PM
This is a pic of Shoestring from yesterday (courtesy of neclimbs):

http://www.neclimbs.com/wmr_pix/20121213/ShoestringGully.jpg

Alfonzo
12-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Puk, no I have not. Besides the photo contained in the above link, there is a post on Shoestring's condition from last Thursday 6/6 on this site. Some areas/climbs are definitely "dry" right now. Webster is one of them. That does not mean interestingly fun outings can not be had. It all depends on what one is looking for. If you desire more meaty ice, you need to go UP! Higha'!