PDA

View Full Version : PF Flyer - Kings Ravine 11.23.12

ajcormier
11-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Seems like Kings was the place to be yesterday. A big thanks to Alfonzo for sparking my interest in this under appreciated ravine. What a beautiful place.

Corey aka "AlpineAdventures", and myself departed Appalachia parking lot around 9AM after a long-ass drive from the seacoast. There were two teams of two in front of us that were spread apart by 40 minutes or so and then another team of two behind us by a solid hour. The approach was fast and light. We stopped at the look out 100 yards before the "Subway" and made our decision to do PF instead of the Gulley. There were some big flows on the top right of the route so we made the decision to break right at the rock island about 2-3 pitches up.

First pitch was the only pitch we protected and roped up for. Took four screws from 13-16cm. As mentioned in an older post the central pillar is non-existent but one can easily move left up the thin, undermined, mushroom covered face.

Pitches 2 and 3 were fantastic and fast, good ice was available everywhere except the very top. We busted right at our "island" and continued up to the large flows and then joined back to our original line at the overhanging crag.

Now perhaps we should have just stayed left the whole way because our top out was heinous. A solid hour long bush-wack that took every last big of energy from us. Did we miss something or is it always like that? If that's always the case, I will never go back for this climb. if there's an easier way we missed, I'd go back tomorrow. Pictures below:

Cramer
11-24-2012, 03:55 PM
I have not been into Kings in a few years. How long did it take you car to car with that bushwack.

I want to get out on some ice as all of us do at this point but with touch and go foot injuries i am not sure this is really worth the effort. Pretty sure it is like 10 miles round trip or something or dam near close to it correct. I should just pull out my map and take a look at how long the Airline and King Ravien trail are but if my memory serves me correct it is quite a hike....

wildbill
11-24-2012, 04:04 PM
I believe it felt like about 4.5 miles to the bottom of the climb(includeing the minor talus hope), then once done the climb we headed kinda slightly left and got to the rocks which lead to the trail. the hike out maybe felt like 5ish includeing the swack. hope this helps

wildbill
11-24-2012, 04:08 PM
and for those who love the far out rock this cirque seemed to offer some nice alpine rock climbing on the far left side(faceing the head wall) maybe not supper long routes but what a beautiful cirque We will be back to explore the rock, what a stellar location!!

Cramer
11-24-2012, 04:37 PM
It does help thank you much.

It is so sad to see no snow in the mountains this time of year. A few years ago i soloed great gully in full winter conditions on November 19th. When i crested the head wall the wind was whipping a solid 20-30mph and it was blowing snow around so much you couldn't see more than 5 feet in front of yourself. For whatever reason i decided to head to the summit as i had not been to the summit of Adams since i was a little kid.

What a great day it was. I decided on the Airline for the decent and man what a shit show that was as we had just had 2' of fresh snow over post hole hell!!

I think i did the trip in less than 5 hrs car to car but i tend to haul ass when i am climbing alone.

If we do not get some more ice soon i am afraid i will be forced to take this long and splendid walk on my old sore feet.

wildbill
11-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Cramer--100,000 watts of worth it it is. load up on vitamin I. we ventured the same direction as the above mentioned post once at the trees we headed left and the swack wasn't that bad. i'd give it a 3.5 on the 1-5 swack scale:)

Tuco
11-25-2012, 05:48 AM
Ehhhhh... Cramer I do not understand your post. Except this.... you guts a sore foot.

You've been into King, just two years ago, you encountered whiteout conditions, made the summit, had a posthole hell in November snow and did the round trip in LESS than 5 hrs. You remember all of this so why the heck are you asking someone how long it took them? If I could book it around in the conditions your post describes that fast, I would not be asking anyone how long anything took!

Not too mention "How long" is the worst and most stupid question ever. It's the most asked question, uttered by someone hiking up a mountain when they do not want to be where they are.

On Friday it was mellow everywhere. Right now on Washington it's zero, the wind is 83 with gusts to near 100. How long on Friday and how long today might just be a little different. Also, everyone moves differently, ice is different everyday and approach conditions? Christ man, Bill et al, had frozen brown ground and pretty much totally snow free. Now it's fricken full on wither up high. And one last thing, PF sounds like it has a nasty bushwhack. Hummmmmm.. hit it right or hit it wrong... do you think that may takeaway or perhaps add to the "how long" factor?

Cramer
11-25-2012, 11:00 AM
My question was in reference to miles as apposed to time.

I know how many miles my feet can stand of walking a day. Standing and climbing have a very different affect on them.

If you wanna argue pick on someone else as i am not gonna bite ;)

Piece.....

Ehhhhh... Cramer I do not understand your post. Except this.... you guts a sore foot.

You've been into King, just two years ago, you encountered whiteout conditions, made the summit, had a posthole hell in November snow and did the round trip in LESS than 5 hrs. You remember all of this so why the heck are you asking someone how long it took them? If I could book it around in the conditions your post describes that fast, I would not be asking anyone how long anything took!

Not too mention "How long" is the worst and most stupid question ever. It's the most asked question, uttered by someone hiking up a mountain when they do not want to be where they are.

On Friday it was mellow everywhere. Right now on Washington it's zero, the wind is 83 with gusts to near 100. How long on Friday and how long today might just be a little different. Also, everyone moves differently, ice is different everyday and approach conditions? Christ man, Bill et al, had frozen brown ground and pretty much totally snow free. Now it's fricken full on wither up high. And one last thing, PF sounds like it has a nasty bushwhack. Hummmmmm.. hit it right or hit it wrong... do you think that may takeaway or perhaps add to the "how long" factor?