PDA

View Full Version : Gringalet - Mt Pinacle (Easterm Townships)

Icebreaker
01-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Climbed on Friday January 6th. -- Much thinner than usual.
Very thin first pitch (so-so gear).
OK second pitch with in situ pins and rock gear.
Good last pitch.

Much fun

pseeha
01-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Great to see this update, climbed in Coaticook several times but havn't been in yet. I've only been in to Pin in summer, can I ask which approach did you use? Was it easy to find?

Cheers, Patrick

Icebreaker
01-21-2012, 10:29 AM
To approach, you must park at the small grocecy store ("depanneur" in french) near the church, and hike along a good trail/wood road (ask for directions at the store).
You then have two options, not so easy to verify if you are on the right trail if you have not been that way at least once in the summer time, the trails are easy and easy to find, but you are blind to the cliff all the time, so not so easy to orient yourself.

Most common is about a 3/4 hike that skirts the base of the cliff (from north to south), after about 5 to 10 minutes starting from the road, take the branch starts perpendicular to the main trail and follow it for 5 minutes, then drop off right facing the lake to skirt the base of the cliff, and climb back up the steep talus at the base of the huge open book smack in the middle of the cliff. You can't miss the line up tucked tight in that huge corner. The route is in very thin conditions, there are a few in situ pins (about 5) not counting the second belay.

Another popular approach is to continue up the main trail all the way to the top and rappel down the main face (if you know where there anchors are). But I would recommend the regular trail approach to a first time visitor so you got all your bearings right if you need to back out.
Have fun!