PDA

View Full Version : Update: Artic Blast looking more likely by next week.

smike
12-28-2011, 12:33 PM
Update: 12/28/2011
More and more forecast Models are picking up on the idea of the Pattern change. Here is the US forecast Model for Jan 2nd.

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/NCOMAGWEB/appcontroller?prevPage=Model&MainPage=index&image=&page=Param&cycle=12%2F28%2F2011+12UTC&rname=SFC-LAYER+PARMS&pname=1000_500_thick&pdesc=&model=GFS&area=NAMER&cat=MODEL+GUIDANCE&fcast=123&areaDesc=North+America+-+US+Canada+and+northern+Mexico&prevArea=NAMER&currKey=model&returnToModel=&imageSize=M

(The blue lines are below freezing, the red above)
It has now been consistently showing a deep cold blast (below average temps finally!) Direct Artic flow from Canada. (Something we haven't seen since late Oct)

Bring it...

Jacon
12-28-2011, 10:14 PM
Good news indeed. Fingers crossed.

Alfonzo
12-29-2011, 04:40 AM
I'm not a weather man or boy for that matter but I think the "blast" is here man!

smike
12-29-2011, 08:54 AM
You sure that blast isn't partly from some select single malt? The current stint of cold is nothing compared to what we should see next week. We southern boys need some love too ya know!

I can't post direct links to the the long range discussions on NYNJPA weather but here is a clip (best shit I read in the last 60 days)

Long Range Discussion:
"Right now there are a lot of hints that January through March will have far different characteristics and results than what we have seen in December. The key to trigger these actions is currently playing out in the stratosphere as you know. The trigger at 500 MB to get the weather pattern to one that is supportive for winter storms is the building of heights from Siberia into northern Canada and the development of a deep trough over the Aleutian Islands of Alaska. If these two features show up as suggested by the ECMWF and GFS, than a major change to sensible weather and thus the track of winter storms will unfold. Changes are on the way, that is for sure!"