PDA

View Full Version : Routes in the Berkshires???

S. Maxwell
12-13-2011, 11:24 PM
Hi All,
Learning about ice climbing, I'm now looking for routes back where I came from - the Berkshires! Anybody know of any routes tucked in there? Going home for the holidays and just want to sneak out between family obligations, so I'm not picky. Thanks.
Sean

pcooke
12-14-2011, 02:40 PM
Race Brook Falls near Sheffield.... I doubt it will be in for a while, however.

RangerRob
12-14-2011, 09:06 PM
The Mass Pike on the stretch from NY to Springfield has some damn fine ice lines. Unfortunately it is both highly illegal and highly visible.

Gidget
12-15-2011, 12:31 PM
I am guessing your chances of seeing ice around here are going to be slim to non. Temps are supposed to get low at night but high 30's low 40's for the next little while. If you find some, let me know;)

ELM
12-17-2011, 07:45 PM
Mt. Tom will get a couple lines if the conditions are right. A bit away...Crow Hill has it's fabled route that forms occasionally. This may not be the winter for either...sadly.

JERKIS MACFARTIN
12-31-2011, 01:29 PM
My daughter attends MCLA in N. Adams. We drive past the hair pin turn from time to time always wondering if that ice is long enough to climb.
Any beta on the length of hair pin falls in the winter?

As for Mt. Tom the approach is a bitch(for this old fart) but there are a few interesting leads for the beginner/intermediate ice junkie.