PDA

View Full Version : Ouray questions---

fear
02-09-2005, 03:04 PM
Heading to Ouray next week with Rjgoat and staying at the Victorian Inn...

We've got the local guidebooks but..

Are there any good climbing shops (i.e. with ice tools/parts/ropes) near Ouray?

Any good cheap places to eat around there that you liked?

And can anyone recommend a good long WI3+/4 (i.e. 5 or more pitches) alpine type climb that isn't also an avalanche chute?

Anyone bring avy gear (beacons/probes/shovels) for area ice climbs(obviously not in the park)? Or are the avy forecasts and reports pretty accurate?

Thanks

-Fear

Lenny
02-09-2005, 04:28 PM
Ouray mountain sports is the shop you'll want to check out. Its right on the main drag and they'll be able to help you out with anything you need.

As for food, The mexican spot in town is the bomb. Order up some chili rellenos - they'll change your life. I can't remember any other spots worth mentioning. Actually, one of the pizza joints is pretty good too.

I've gone there a bunch but alwayse stuck to the park cause i like that sorta "park-and-play" thing, but i know there are a bunch of longer multi-pitch climbs that should be suited to your liking in walking distance of the park. I can't remember what that area is called but i don't think it's more than a 30 min walk. They will be plenty of beta available on what's what when you get there. I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Oh, you should also consider poaching the hot tubs at the inn across the street from the vic - way cool wooden barrel style tubs.

emmanuel
02-10-2005, 07:46 AM
Lucky bast.,,ds have fun out there !!!

windsork
02-10-2005, 08:09 AM
Maybe you smuggle some seed ice back to plant at random around here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

rockytop
02-10-2005, 08:14 AM
Check the latest issue of R&I.

mat
02-10-2005, 08:25 AM
the best place to eat is the mexican bar restaraunt in town If you are lookig for a real nice long alpine route, try the climbing in Silverton, over Red Mtn pass towards Durango. at least 5 or more pitches on a nice climb called "Stairway to heaven". ask at the gear shop for beta. there are a whole bunch of alpine routes over there. Birdbrain is another nice climbing area, just up the road a short drive from the Ice park.

tradman
02-10-2005, 10:17 AM
if you climb in silverton make sure that you know the avy situation. lots of people get killed there.

tfwo
02-10-2005, 01:37 PM
Yeah think aloyt of those Silveton routes are early season routes. Stairway looks incredible.

Is the Mexi place very expensive? Anywhere to grab breakfast around there?

skillet
02-11-2005, 04:36 AM
you guys get a free breakfast every day with your stay.they have toast/bagels, cereal,tea/coffee and other breakfast bric-a-brac. sorry, no pancakes or bacon,eggs or sausage.free is free! W

mat
02-11-2005, 05:22 AM
another nice moderate route, Wild hourses 234m wi3 just up the road from the ice park on the red mtn pass road. there is a wi5 right near there. hoursetails falls 170m wi4/5.
i have done them both and highly recommand.

OneWithIce
02-11-2005, 02:36 PM
Check in your hotel for avy reports and know that that area has plenty. Getting in and out of Ouray from the south is a crap shoot at times due to road closure because of avy danger.
Ouray Mtn. Sports --Bill-- is the only place in town that I know and they are excellent. (If Tim H. is still there, please tell him Robin sends her regards!)
Wish you guys the best of trips. We've had a lot of snowfall here in the mountains of SOUTHERN NM--- so I would bet there's been a bit up there in Ouray!
Drive safe and climb hard. It's beautiful...