PDA

View Full Version : Cannon, 12/8/09

RAS
12-08-2009, 01:32 PM
Erik E. and I did the Black Dike today. We didn't know what to expect but were pleasantly surprised. It's fully in but a little soft yet. Things should firm up nicely. If you go up there to climb tread lightly so others after you have some ice to climb; there's only an inch or two in the chimney above the traverse. Hopefully the cold temps forecasted for the weekend don't lock things up there.

Hassig's looked good. Fafnir is climbable. Quartet didn't look quite there. Omega needs more time.

The ground isn't even frozen there yet (turf top out was soft). It seems that the earth hasn't really cooled down yet for winter.

12-08-2009, 02:14 PM
SWEET!

Jacon
12-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Well done!

Ridgerunner
12-08-2009, 03:54 PM
I tip my hat !

rockytop
12-09-2009, 01:40 AM
Nice. It can be mighty spicy up there in that chimney when it's thin. Good job on that lead Eric!

erik.eisele
12-09-2009, 05:39 AM
I took my time and Ryan froze on the belay, but it felt good to be scared above gear. Way better than sport climbing.

Prozac also looked like it was almost in. We walked over to check it out and there was a lot of ice on it, although if it was the same consistency as the ice on the Dike it would have been terrifying. Pure type two fun.

leaf
12-09-2009, 05:52 AM
wow, guys. awesome. i would have sh*t in my pants on that. <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/shocked.gif

looks like game on!

neurostar
12-09-2009, 06:39 AM
Ditto, well done!

mtnstoke
12-10-2009, 06:02 AM
&quot;fully in&quot;? hahaha! not for me! not judging from the picture on the homepage anyway! nice work.

Randy J Goat
12-12-2009, 04:57 AM
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtnstoke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">&quot;fully in&quot;? hahaha! not for me! not judging from the picture on the homepage anyway! nice work. </div></div>...yeah &quot;fully in&quot; is a pretty realitive phrase... <<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/laugh.gif

Mr. Rogers
12-13-2009, 12:37 PM
Did the Dike on Saturday w/ the right-hand exit as the second of (I think) three parties. It's all there in an early-season kinda way and lots of fun. The second pitch had a lot more gear placements than usual, many cracks which are usually filled with ice were dry and took cams/nuts.

There was water dripping on the third pitch and some soft ice in places. So she's still building. The second pitch of Fafnir looked thin, but do-able. The third pitch just looked thin.

We totally screwed the descent though. Sorry about that. We followed a line of prints for a bit, decided the prints had lost the trail and were headed too far west/right, stopped following the tracks, made some poor route-finding decisions, and finally committed to a heinous 'schwack east/left which regained the trail. Hopefully the next party through knows what they're doing and corrects our mistake.