PDA

View Full Version : Dry Skin????

Gidget
01-14-2005, 12:19 PM
I have been getting really wicked dry skin, I was wondering if anyone had any secrets for really dry winter/ice skin. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

OneWithIce
01-14-2005, 04:40 PM
Ah, the things we women endure!!!! (Although I have seen guys with the same problem!)
Living here in the desert it's a year round problem, but in Maine it was just the winter months.
The best thing I have found is Aveeno-- the original in the lotion, for me, works best. First take a shower in tepid, not hot, water and then slough off the dead skin with a loofah or those nylon gloves they sell (this is lots of fun with your significant other, if my memory serves well), first with an exfoliating product and then using some liquid soap for dry skin. Then when you get out, pat dry (leaving a little sheen of dampness) and apply the moisturizer all over. Aveeno lasts most of the day, which is unusual, in my experience, with no stickiness. Another trick is using baby oil GEL-- I use the chamomile kind-- and apply after you've showered, etc. at night. Wear cotton or flannel PJ's (well-worn so you don't get fluffies stuck all over you!) and let it soak in overnight! (This may NOT be so much fun with a partner! The gel oil has a REALLLLY oily feel and I know some women find it intense if they have oily skin! You do feel rather like you are coated if you apply it too thickly!) But this will really make your skin feel moist.
I've always been complimented on my soft skin--- only the folks on NEICE know the secret! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (Aren't you all so lucky! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif)
BUT--- if you are nursing, be sure to read the label on any moisturizer you use-- some are not suitable because they are absorbed in your skin and will enter your milk!
Guys, you don't have to worry about that last comment! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
The other component is to be sure you are well-hydrated, drinking lots of water during the day.
Hope this helps, my friend!

GEAR-HEAD
01-14-2005, 06:29 PM
From a males stand point......I get pretty dry ski in winter so I always moisturize. I use Lubriderm everyday and when it's real rough I use bag balm/udder balm. Works like a charm. Nice warm shower and while skin is moist...apply. I also use that "climb-on bar" every once and a while.
Hope that helps.
BTW: stay hydrated always!! that REALLY curtails most dry skin issues for me

windsork
01-15-2005, 02:28 AM
After a few days out: Glycerine soap and a warm, exfoliating shower followed by Lubiderm and baby oil to lock it in, then Nivea HQ anti-aging moisturizer on the face. I use some of my wife's Mary Kay stuff but I don't want to seem to vain /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif, nor would I know what it's called anyway.

To think 10-12 years ago a huge vat of vaseline was the only moisturizer I owned. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

KZKlimber
01-15-2005, 06:46 AM
The best thing for dry skin is to climb!!!!

Makes you forget all about it.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

chrix
01-15-2005, 10:26 AM
Cortaid does the trick for me.

tradman
01-15-2005, 02:15 PM
This year has not been cold enough for it to be an issue but when you do get those nasty cracks in your fingers, super glue works pretty well for the quick fix. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

strat
01-16-2005, 03:47 AM
Super Glue is really really bad for you. BUT, Johnson and Johnson has a liquid bandaid product that is essentially the same thing only they've purified it and made it safe for human use....

chrix
01-16-2005, 04:56 AM
I am beginning to think this thread is meant for the dark side.....

Aya
01-16-2005, 05:03 AM
http://www.easterntownships.com/bagbalm/pix/can2_22.jpg

gunkiemike
01-16-2005, 06:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.easterntownships.com/bagbalm/pix/can2_22.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, but how many posters here get sore, ya know, TEATS? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Aya
01-16-2005, 06:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yea, but how many posters here get sore, ya know, TEATS? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not even going to comment http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/engel/angel-smiley-021.gif

mediclimber
01-16-2005, 02:15 PM
Bag Balm is great stuff. I've used it for years (used to work on a dairy farm part time and the stuff keeps your hands in good shape). If your skin gets real chapped, cracked, and dry, try loading up on this at night and put on a cheap pair of cotton gloves to keep it on and let it get absorbed while you sleep. An old farmers trick.

tradman
01-16-2005, 02:46 PM
sorry man but that just dosen't sound right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

rehtaeh17
01-16-2005, 05:32 PM
one word - Aquaphor!!!

eriklake
01-17-2005, 05:43 AM
How about this, Drink More Water. All the lotions in the world are great, but the problem is lack of fluid in your body, because the dryness in the air drys you out.

Sidestroke
01-17-2005, 07:29 AM
Sore teats?

Especially when it's cold...

Gidget
01-17-2005, 09:39 AM
Thanks everyone, I appreciate it. I actually have bag balm, it was recommended to me to use on baby rash. I donít know why I did not think of that. I am going to give the aveeno a try. Maybe pick up some of the Lubriderm and Aquephor too. I have tried regular Nivea, way to greasy. I agree drinking water should be the first line of defense. I drink between 5 and 6 32 oz. Nalgene bottles of water on a regular day, when exercising or climbing more. I think if I drink any more I am going to desolve. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif