PDA

View Full Version : A Modest Proposal

Mountain Man
12-18-2005, 01:01 PM
Members should give an indication of ltheir ocation in the profiles.

Useful for eliciting information or proposing "hooking up".

mlc
12-19-2005, 06:48 AM
But what if Gidget really is in Mick's pants or off the coast of Italy? What if the wind really does blow strange where mso4man lives?/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I like seeing what people come up with for those, but your point is well taken.

After a while I have an idea where most of the people on the board are from just by watching and listening. If that takes too long I could always ask for partners, since I tend to climb outside my own area as much as in.

The old board had a Partners forum that was great for trolling for someone to go with.

TonyL
12-19-2005, 07:00 AM
Partners is now listed under classifieds

TonyL
12-19-2005, 07:06 AM
In addition, all those that have posted in the clasified section can remove, edit, or update thier post through edit. Let's try to clean-up some of the older out dated stuff up. Some posts go back over a year and a no longer active. I'll do my part. Go to classifieds, do a search under your user name and you can find all of you past posts.

mso4man
12-19-2005, 07:13 AM
I DO live where the wind blows strange. You will see in about one month

Lizz
12-19-2005, 08:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I DO live where the wind blows strange. You will see in about one month

[/ QUOTE ]
It's true! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Lizz

Gidget
12-19-2005, 08:57 AM
That is crazy I was wondering about that under MSO's location.

There is a place in South Western Spain in Andalusia where the sound of the wind drives people crazy. I have a friend that went there researching the horses of the area and said she could feel the oddness of it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Some people have said there is some weird vibe in Taos New Mexico, I have not felt it myself.

makarra2
12-19-2005, 10:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]

There is a place in South Western Spain in Andalusia where the sound of the wind drives people crazy. I have a friend that went there researching the horses of the area and said she could feel the oddness of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

That place is called Tarifa, on the Southern most part of Spain in Cadiz's province. The wind is pretty strong I can assure you. It is so that Argantonio, a Phoenician King long before the Romans, dictated that crimes commited on the days of strong wind (the wind we call Levante because it blows from the sun rise) would have lesser punnishment. They believed (and a lot of people nowadays) that the strong wind drives you crazy.

It has indeed some strong effect on people...

And Andalusian horses are just magnificient /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cheers, Antonio.

Gidget
12-19-2005, 10:32 AM
Thank you Antonio. I was not to sure on the details, have you been there? Yes my friend was there studying Andalusians. I have had the great fortune of training 2 of them.

makarra2
12-19-2005, 10:43 AM
I'm from Cadiz so I've been there multiple times. Actually there is a nice rock climbing location right there in Tarifa, in the San Bartolome Peak where I used to climb a lot. It is the southernmost climbing place in Spain, facing the beaches. You can be climbing there whole day then in half an hour you're enjoying one of the best beaches. On clear days, from the top of the South face climbs (up to 3 pitches) you can see the cost of North Africa and the Atlas Mountain Range in Africa. Beautiful indeed. I'll have to find some pictures...

I do not train horses but I'm used to see them. My province, Cadiz, is very well know for their horses. There's a city there, called Jerez with a great equestrian school and they show an spectacle (spell?) called something like "How Andalusian horses dance" that I'd recommend you to watch if you have the oportunity. I may have the possibility to find a video/DVD that I'd be glad to send you if I find it, of course.

Cheers, Antonio.

Gidget
12-19-2005, 10:55 AM
That is so awesome, I had no idea you were from Spain. I spent most of my time in Northern Spain. I would probably be living there if I had not met my husband. If you are coming to MSO's party I would love to see pics and or a video.

makarra2
12-19-2005, 11:10 AM
I see, that's nice. Where in North Spain? Did you get to go to the Pyrinees? There is wonderful ice climbing there in both sides, France and Spain.

No idea about MSO's party, but I'll try to get the video and pics anyway (and enjoy the party, have a couple of beers for me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif).

Cheers, Antonio.

Gidget
12-19-2005, 11:24 AM
I was in Oviedo, in Asturias. I did hit the pyrenees but for hiking, no climging. Had a ton of fun in Gijon and Santander over Easter. San Sabastian was pretty cool too. I spent a bit of time in Barcelona, first time I have witnessed police with automatic weapons walking the streets. It was during the Olympics but still a bit nerve racking.

makarra2
12-19-2005, 11:52 AM
Wow, Oviedo, beautiful! And right there you also have the "Picos de Europa" mountain range, full of classic rock, alpine and snow/ice climbs!

I see you did a bit of travelling around. Hope you enjoyed there!

Yep, seeing people with automatic weapons is not relaxing for sure! There was a bit of tension during Barcelona's Olympics, fear of terrorist attacks. Sad that people cannot just relax and enjoy, but it seems crazy guys are everywhere...

I hope I can find that video, I'm sure you'd like it.

Cheers, Antonio.

Gidget
12-19-2005, 12:31 PM
I had a Picos De Europa, bumper sticker on my car for years. When I sold it I had them peel it off so I could keep it. I will have to send you a pic of it.

I Love Spain and would love to get back there for vacation or to live in a second.

When did you leave?

fear
12-19-2005, 01:27 PM
Gidget and Antonio... sittin' in a tree.....

K....
I....
S....
S....
I....
N....
G....

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

-Fear

Gidget
12-19-2005, 01:36 PM
SHUT IT http://www.ascensionist.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/moon.gif http://www.ascensionist.com/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/samurai.gif

Mountain Man
12-19-2005, 04:24 PM
You don't like to kiss?

mso4man
12-19-2005, 05:02 PM
Tee hee hee

ohio joe
12-19-2005, 06:27 PM
Seems antonio found the hot button /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

makarra2
12-20-2005, 07:31 AM
I came here eight years ago. Most of the time in DC, travelling a bit because of work and also I lived for about one year in Tempe, AZ.

Gee, I did not have a single bussiness trip North in season for ice climbing...

I'm happy you liked Spain. Maybe in one of my trips there to visit family or when I go back we can meet there.

OK, ready to go to the Shenandoah area for a couple of relaxing days with my wife. We are taking our climbing gear and tools with us, juet in case we find some ice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Talk to ya'll folks in a couple of days!

Cheers, Antonio.

Cheers, Antonio.

makarra2
12-20-2005, 07:35 AM
Jelaous? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Nah, she just talked about my home land and then, all of a sudden, I got all these thoughts and remembers...

Cheers, Antonio.

fear
12-20-2005, 08:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Jelaous? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Nah, she just talked about my home land and then, all of a sudden, I got all these thoughts and remembers...

Cheers, Antonio.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know you must look and sound like Antonio Banderas from Zorro. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So, yes, I am jealous....

-Fear

mso4man
12-21-2005, 01:28 AM
Me too. And what's a hot button? I want one.

Mountain Man
12-21-2005, 01:30 AM
What is a woman's now?

makarra2
12-22-2005, 04:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know you must look and sound like Antonio Banderas from Zorro.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're referring to that strong Spaniard sometimes-I-do-not-know-how-the-heck-they-understand-me accent, yes, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif... as for looks, well, I do not think so!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Cheers, Antonio.