PDA

View Full Version : Filters?

Crag
11-22-2005, 04:22 AM
What filters if any do you guys/girls use? Specifically 35mm SLR

grzegorz
11-22-2005, 05:32 AM
when i take black and white, during the winter, with all the snow/ice around, i use the yellow one. i cant tell you why it works, but i just does.
highly recommend a yellow one if you are doing b&w .

ohh and beer goggles.. ( sometimes )
haha

Lizz
11-23-2005, 05:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What filters if any do you guys/girls use? Specifically 35mm SLR

[/ QUOTE ]
I keep a UV filter on all my lenses, mostly as protection. I use a polarizer quite often and keep a full set of neutral density grads handy.

No matter which filters you decide to buy, make sure they, like your lenses, are top quality. The cheaper filters tend to have uneven coatings and are not as durable.

Lizz

smike
11-23-2005, 06:59 AM
A real nice filter is a polarizing filter. Make sure it’s a “circular polarizing” type if you have auto focus lenses. They will saturate colors by removing glare. They are not as effective when using wide angle lenses with lot of sky in them as the effect will not be even. I don’t use them on crystal clear days at elevation since the effect can be overwhelming. Also they work best with digital or slide film.

If shooting slide film such as Fuji Provia I will use an 81a filter for shots in shade or overcast as slide film tends to overdue the blue tones in shade or overcast.

Crag
11-23-2005, 07:50 AM
Everyone - Thanks for the advice. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tradman
11-23-2005, 08:39 AM
green is another good one for B&W If you are shooting monocrome with canon Digital then the b&w filters would most likly be usefull. polarizer is good for shooting through glass or water but not nessicary for most digital shooting INMOP

gunkiemike
12-16-2005, 01:33 PM
How can I find out what diameter filter goes on the standard OEM lens that comes on the Canon EOS 20D? I'd like to buy one as a gift without giving it away by asking to see the camera.

smike
12-19-2005, 06:06 AM
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controll...1554&is=USA (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=product.jsp&A=kitInfo&Q=&sku=351554&is=USA)

Looks like filter size is 58mm on the standard lens that as far as I can tell comes in every 20D kit.

mch
12-27-2005, 06:57 PM
For B&W, a Red #25 will deepen the sky for a very dramatic effect (think ansel adams). A yellow #2 will deepen the sky but not so dramatically.

A split neutral density filter is very useful when half of the scene is VERY bright and the other half is normal - for example either a snow slope with sky above or a bright sky with a dark rock band below. the density portion knocks down the extreme brightness so you maintain detail and color in the darker areas.

A UV stays on all of my lenses all the time. Partially to keep my greasy fingers off of the glass but also to pull down the UV effect.

Others have mentioned the polarizer. Can be good but you have to be shooting at right angles to the source of light for greatest effect. In color film, it does a nice job of bringing back the sky.

cheers,
mch

Climbergal1
12-28-2005, 02:49 PM
Hey Crag...
Reds nice for clouds and textures. Not sure what everyone does regarding the fog effect.
Ive only taken water-proof toss aways out ice-climbing because of that.
For some reason they dont fog as bad.
On the rock Im a little braver, depending on what Im doing.
Choosing photography minded days and actual climbing days toss me more into equipment reality.
So what do you do with the fog factor? Especially adding a secondary filter in the cold.
The only way Ive found that its ok is to keep everything on the outside...and even then its still a factor...unless you put the filter on ahead of time, and keep it around your neck while your hiking.

Crag
12-28-2005, 04:12 PM
Don't put any lens attachment on until everything is equalized temprature wise.

salamander
12-28-2005, 07:29 PM
While we're back on the filter subject, I have a related question...
I have some sweet climbing photos that I took during a trip to Ecuador. Beautiful compositions but the exposures have a blue cast to them. I was shooting provia 100 slide film, was at altitude (up to 20,000 ft.) and using a polarizer to cut glare and bring out the sky/clouds.
What is up with the blue cast? i've heard that you can get that from increased UV light at altitude.
Should I have used a UV filter? Ditched the polarizer? or is it more of an issue of my camera not metering properly on white clouds and snow? Should I have opened up a few stops to compensate? Or a combination of any of these things?
Any experience with this? Suggestions?
Thanks!

mch
12-29-2005, 07:05 AM
The blue doesn't have anything to do with the metering. The light being scattered by the snow increases the likelihood of the blue thing. The polarizer is a much better way to address the issue than the UV.

It can also be flawed processing.

Unless you are planning on projecting these images, after you scan them, you can pull out the blue and color balance quite reasonably in Photoshop. With enough pixels, poster sized prints are easy.

cheers,
mch.

salamander
12-29-2005, 05:20 PM
If this is true then I am still baffled /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
I used a polarizer on these shots and they are still blue. I doubt the processing was an issue because other photos on the roll have excellent color and I use a reputable lab.

I do tend to show my slides from time to time and I was also hoping to sell a few. I have scanned them into photoshop to doctor them a bit but I want to be able to produce the correct image to begin with...
Any other thoughts?

mch
12-30-2005, 10:07 AM
Polarizers are most effective when the picture is taken at right angles to the sun. Their effectivness falls off as your position (the direction of the shot) rotates the 90 degrees to align with the axis of the light source.

Still, if you have access to a very high quality slide scanner (e.g. Nikon 5000ED or the like), you can bring in the image, color correct it and then send the file back out to a film recorder (aka make slides from your digital images). Printing service bureaus can do this for you.

Good luck.
mch.

salamander
12-30-2005, 02:59 PM
I knew about the positioning of the polarizer and I do use it in less than optimal orientation sometimes, particularly in climbing situations where you don't always have the option to move around.That could have been the problem.

I never considered scanning the slide, correcting it, and then making a new slide. I didn't know it was possible although I should have guessed that it would be. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reno
01-03-2006, 06:01 PM
I have been shooting Provia for the last 6 year or so and I use one of the 81 series filters to remove the bluish cast common to E6 films. The 81A offers the least correction, with the 81C offering the greatest. On the subject of polarizers, you may find that if you use a polarizer filter with a lens focal length wider than about 35mm you may end up with uneven polarization of the sky. The sky in the left side of the image will be a deeper blue than the right side. Also, if you are shooting on a bright sunny day with a high degree of contrast in the overall image, i.e. climber in the shade with sun shining on the snow and blue sky, the subject matter in the shade will most likely be under exposed. I seem to capture my best images on overcast days with an 81 series filter on my lenses. One thing to remember, if you have your digital camera set on auto white balance and place a light balancing filter on the lens, the camera will adjust for the filter with no compensation taking place.

Good Shooting,

Reno