PDA

View Full Version : Best way to top out Washington from Huntington Ravine?

posikris
02-11-2015, 03:22 PM
Hey guys,

Looking to do either Odell's or Pinnacle in a few weeks but we're hoping to push through and top out Washington for a nice grueling day. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for the best way up from the top of the ravine.

Obviously, the Huntington Ravine Trail heads up but I know it can be hard to find in winter. Is it really difficult or would it be feasible?

Alternatively, we thought to take the AG Trail around to Lion Head and finish up on the south side. Although longer, could be easier?

Thanks for the help.

-Kris

PS: Side note, anyone know if Odell's came in at 2 or 3 this year?

granjo
02-11-2015, 06:49 PM
Unless visibility or wind is a problem you'll be fine going up Huntington trail (about 0.2 miles) then left onto Nelson crag trail. It's about a mile more to the summit and i did it in pristine conditions in about 1 to 1.5 hours from top out of the ravine in a relaxed hike (the weather was just exceptional) If you're a good BC skier it might be worth the trouble to haul you skis and have some skimo fun and head down tuckerman's and then down the Shurburne back to the car.

posikris
02-11-2015, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the reply. Good to know it's doable. I think we'll plan on that and have AG as a backup plan.

If you're a good BC skier it might be worth the trouble to haul you skis and have some skimo fun and head down tuckerman's and then down the Shurburne back to the car.

Hmm... I might just have to leave my party behind for a fun descent on my own...haha

granjo
02-11-2015, 07:21 PM
If they are competent skiers but Tuckerman's is too much you could also just hike down Lion's head and do the Shurburne if the conditions are good...it's not hard, just a bit narrow sometimes. It's soooo much faster than coming back down on foot.

Dave095790
02-11-2015, 08:04 PM
Regarding your path from the top of the route to the summit, I was under the impression that you could just bee-line however you want to the summit. No real path, as long as the fragile alpine vegetation is covered with snow you should be fine.

The only time I summitted, after skiing in Huntington, I simply skinned basically straight up to the top ...

Maybe you are supposed to follow a trail, but it appeared to me you can go wherever you please.

Regarding bringing skis, if you're a good enough skier it is a MUCH better way to enjoy the mountain. Skin up, climb, skin to the summit, ski all the way down ... a perfect combination of climbing and skiing. If you don't plan on carrying skis all the way up I do not recommend caching them as you end up going so far out of your way at some point that it's probably not worthwhile (assuming you're going as a day trip, if you bring overnight gear it's probably just as easy to skin in, cach skis and overnight gear, climb, and return for your gear - but its definitely doable as a day trip).

Climbing any of those routes with skis on your pack is really no problem, unless you're lugging up a pair of huge fat powder boards or really old heavy lunkers ...

granjo
02-11-2015, 08:42 PM
I agree with Dave... if you have enough snow, just make your own way but if it's boney, stick to the indicated path.